Subject: Sorry for the "Why not allow advertising on the Internet" message

From: Jan Labanowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 09:45:16 -0400 (EDT)

Dear CCL,

I want to apologize to the German speaking membership of the CCL for the
spam which appeared on the list. I updated my filters with a number of
keywords in German, and included paths to the origin for header checking.
I hope that messages from at least this source will not spam the list
again, but you never know how clever they are.
It is encouraging that Internet is really international {:-(} and
the spam is not only restricted to English.

Jan Labanowski
[email-masked]

---

From: "Bradley A. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 10:33:27 -0500 (CDT)

A maintenance release of xvibs is available in the CCL archive.
The new version has these bug fixes:
- Fixed bug in g94ReadFrequencies() which would only read frequencies
  if there were no negative frequencies. (Affected transition state
  calculations)
- Correction for when energy not found. (Affected Gaussian94 MCSCF
  calculations)
- Fixed bug which always wrote vectors for first frequency.
  (Thanks to Peter Freunscht)

This new version is available at
ftp://ftp.ccl.net/pub/chemistry/software/SOURCES/C/xvibs

	-- Bas

-----
Bradley A. Smith                [email-masked]
Chemistry Department            http://pollux.chem.umn.edu/~basmith/
University of Minnesota         (612) 624-1535

---

From: "Douglas A. Smith Ph.D." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 11:18:23 -0400

Jan:

A warning to us all lest we succumb to the internet lingo...

Did you see the newscript article on page 60 of the 11 August 1997 C&E
News?  spamming has led to legal action both by internet access providers
as well as by Hormel Foods, makers of Spam.

Doug

At 09:45 AM 8/14/97 -0400, you wrote:
>-------This is added Automatically by the Software--------
>-- Original Sender Envelope Address: [email-masked]
>-- Original Sender From: Address: [email-masked]
>[email-masked]: Everybody | [email-masked]: Coordinator
>[email-masked]: HELP CHEMISTRY or HELP SEARCH | Gopher: www.ccl.net 73
>Anon. ftp: www.ccl.net   | [email-masked] -- archive search
>             Web: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry.html 
>
>
>
--
Dr. Douglas A. Smith, President and CEO     |  voice: (814) 255-7859
The DASGroup, Inc.                          |    fax: (814) 255-3517
1732 Lyter Drive, 2nd Floor                 |  email: [email-masked]
Johnstown, PA 15905                         |    WWW: http://www.dasgroup.com

Contract R&D specialists in modeling, simulation, and synthesis for
chemistry, materials science, and biotechnology.