Subject: which MD package to turn to for starters?

From: Eugene Leitl <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 10:47:46 +0200 (MET DST)

Dear CCLers,

I just downloaded the sources from "The Art of Molecular Dynamics 
Simulation" by D.C. Rapaport, from 

  http://www.cup.cam.ac.uk/onlinepubs/ArtMolecular/ArtMoleculartop.html

  (actually, from 
  ftp://ftp.cup.cam.ac.uk/pub/science/ArtMolecular/artmdsim.tar.gz
  )

Is there a free nontrivial MD package for Linux out there, to get started 
quickly? 

I'm interested in solvated linear (bio)polymers, especially proteins.
A quick & dirty trajectory renderer for X would be also very nice to have.

My hardware is currently very puny: 32 MBytes RAM, K5/166, RedHat 4.2. (I
intend to upgrade to 128 MBytes K6/233 quite soon though, then turning to
DSP boards (SHARC, 'C6x) for crunch assistance, so raw horsepower should
not be a problem in the future). 

Roughly, systems of which size/duration are accessible with my current 
configuration (K5/166, 32 MBytes RAM)?

______________________________________________________________________________
 icbmto:N 48 10'07'' E 011 33'53''        http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~ui22204