Subject: dispersion interaction

From: "Rochus Schmid" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 16:33:22 -0600

dear netters:

>from my poor textbook knowledge I rmemeber, that the dispersion interaction
between e.g. rare gas atoms is something like a "induced dipole- induced
dipole" interaction and it follows -1/r^6. Right?
It is a "correlation" effect, thus, it doesn't appear in HF-calcs.

can someone point me to a ref. or explain me the origin in more detail? And are
there any methods to somehow extract the amount of dispersion interaction
energy from post-HF calcs.? (or is this a stupid idea?)

thanx in advance.

best regards

     rochus

-- 

********************************************************************************
Dr. Rochus Schmid
Technische Universitaet Muenchen	Tel. 	++49 89 2891 3385
Lehrstuhl f. Anorganische Chemie 1	Fax. 	++49 89 2891 3473
Prof. W. A. Herrmann			E-mail:	
Lichtenbergstrasse 4			[email-masked]
85747 Garching
********************************************************************************