Subject: Summary:Metalloproteins

From: [email-masked] (Brian W. Beck)
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 14:44:14 -0700 (PDT)

Last week some time, I asked about the fraction of PDB proteins
	that are metal binding.

	Jian Li of Scripps <[email-masked]> told me about the
	following issue of Chem. Reviews and in particular the
	introductory article by Holm et al.
                                                                              
AUTHOR       Holm, Richard H.; Kennepohl, Pierre; Solomon, Edward I.
TITLE        Structural and functional aspects of metal sites in biology.
APPEARS IN   Chemical Reviews 1996, v96n7, Nov p. 2239-2314 (75 pages)
 
ABSTRACT     A classification and structure/function analysis of native metal 
               sites based on the functions of the five basic types of a 
               protein-bound metal site is presented.  These considerations 
               are largely confined to the sites themselves.

	In this artcile the authors state that 1/3 of all proteins and
	enzyme require metal cofactors for biological function and that
	as of Dec 1995, 52% of the PDB structures contain metals
	(excluding weakly bound metals such as sodium).

	-Brian

-- 
=============================================================================
|   .---------.| Brian W. Beck      |    E-mail Addresses:                  |
|/\ |         || Biochem/Biophysics |        [email-masked]        |
|| \\     WSU || Washington St. Univ|   [email-masked]                  |
|\  -        *|| 639 Fulmer         |  URL  http://elmo.chem.wsu.edu/~brian |
| |           || Pullman, WA, USA   |    VOICE    (509) 335-4083            |
| \___________||       99164-4660   |      FAX    (509) 335-9688            |
=============================================================================