Subject: PCI vs. SCSI and Linux

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 11:40:49 +0100 (CET)

Dear CCLers,

Recent discussions on the list "seem" to assess that the PPro 256kb
should be the best buy, in terms of performance/costs ratio.

Anyhow, the PCs are not simply made by the CPU. We know that another
bottleneck can be the HD. A PCI bus should be more or less comparable
to a FAST SCSI 2. Better performances can be obtained on going to
Ultra Wide etc. SCSI stuff. Anyhow, prices increase.

What the experience here ? 

Are those (more) expensive last generation SCSI pieces really needed ?

Any comments appreciated

Best regards,

Luigi

-----------------------------------
Luigi Cavallo
Dept. of Chemistry
Univ. of Naples
Email [email-masked]
-----------------------------------