Subject: 97.11.17 Course: Comp. Chem. for Biomed. Appl.

From: Meg Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 15:52:05 -0800

Meg Bryant
Senior Publications Coordinator
UC Berkeley Extension
[email-masked]

THE IMPACT OF COMPUTATIONAL MOLECULAR AND CHEMICAL
MODELING ON THE BIOMEDICAL FIELD

UC Berkeley Extension will offer a three-day course, "An Overview of
Computational Chemistry for Biomedical Applications," on Mon., Nov. 17
through Wed., Nov.19, from 9 am to 5 pm at UC Extension Downtown,
150 Fourth St., San Francisco. Course fee is $1,295 and includes
computer use, connect time and extensive course materials. Those
registering 30 days in advance receive a $50 discount.  Team
enrollments may be discounted to $1,195 per person for three or more
people. (Early registration discounts do not apply to team enrollments.) 
For a brochure, call (415) 323-8143 or e-mail [email-masked]  To
register, call (510) 642-4111 or visit the course website at
http://www.unex.berkeley.edu:4243/chem	

Instructors are Michael Colvin, Ph.D., a research chemist in the Biology
and Biotechnology Research Program at Lawrence Livermore National
Laboratories, and Douglas Henry, Ph.D.,
a senior scientist at MDL Information Systems, Inc. 	

This hands-on course introduces computer-assisted molecular modeling,
with an emphasis on practical application of the simulations and on
understanding the strengths and limitations of different methods. 
Participants will gain an overview of the range of chemical modeling
methods from first-principles quantum chemistry on small biochemicals to
hueristic homology-searching on large proteins. The computer lab will be
open for three hours at end of each day's session for the completion of
course labs and work on modeling projects related to private research.