Subject: Summary2: Presentation Graphics

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 18:08:33 +0100

---------------------------- Forwarded with Changes ---------------------------
From: [email-masked] at INTERNET1
Date: 10/2/97 9:50PM
To: Steve Bowlus at USPAC01M
Subject: convert
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________________________________________
Subject: convert
From:    [email-masked] at INTERNET1
Date:    10/2/97  9.50 PM

I've got a file of prior notes on converting;  lacking the
time to pick out parts you need, I'm sending the file.

--------

http://www.handmadesw.com/hsi/web_alchemy.html
converts many image types

From: [email-masked] (Robert W. Cox)
Subject: Re: rgb format
Date: Thu Mar 23 08:13:52 MST 1995
Organization: Medical College of Wisconsin; Milwaukee Wisconsin

Tero T Weckroth ([email-masked]) wrote:
:  I have some molecular images in RGB format and I'd like to transform them

: into GIF.

If this is SGI's RGB format, the "netpbm" package of image conversion
utilities (for Unix) can convert it to a myriad of other formats.  A
quick search with archie shows a number of sites, but I didn't get one
in Finland.  In Europe:
   ftp://ftp.cyf-kr.edu.pl/ftp.cyf-kr.edu.pl/netpbm-1mar1994.tar.gz
   ftp://ftp.ibp.fr//pub/X11/R5contrib/netpbm-1mar1994.tar.gz
I believe that it has been compiled for MS-DOS and other platforms as
well, but don't know where those might be found.

Bob Cox / Biophysics Research Institute / Medical College of Wisconsin
voice: 414-456-4038 / FAX: 414-266-8515 / [email-masked]

From: [email-masked] (Tim Cutts)
For Unix, there is the PBMPlus suite of programs.  Each one is a small
filter between two formats.  By piping them together you can convert
almost anything into almost anything else!

The package is fairly large, and it *won't* cope with jpeg, but most
raster formats (BMP, PCX, XBM, XPM, GIF etc) are catered for.

The more common formats are also all readable and writeable by XV,
which also has the advantage that you can see the image!
Tim.

>How do I remove the background color in a GIF image so only the
>objects are displayed?
If you're using Unix, try "giftrans" - widely available via anon FTP