Subject: Dual PPro, Linux, & CC?

From: "Gustavo A. Mercier Jr" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 13:05:21 -0400 (EDT)

HI!

I am in the market for a PC-Linux box to use with MD & DFT
applications, adf, amber, and moldy, primarily.

I wonder if anybody has any experience trying to run
in parallel under (a measley) dual PPro/PII system using Linux.

I am familiar with the Beowulf project, ie. hooking several boxes
for parallel execution. My question is limited to systems with
two chips in a single motherboard using off the shelve LInux, say
Red Hat 4.2, and public domain software for message passing.

I understand that under Linux you may not gain much in execution
speed. Any other alternatives?

Any fortran compiler that would be best for parallel execution
under Linux, if any?

I will summarize to the list if there is interest!

Thanks again!
-- 
                                      ("`-/")_.-'"``-._
Gustavo A. Mercier,Jr.,MD,PhD         (. . `) -._    )-;-,_() 
Division of Nuclear Medicine          (v_,)'  _  )`-.\  ``-
Dept. of Radiology                    _;- _,-_/ / ((,'
University of Pennsylvania           ((,.-'  ((,/
3400 Spruce St.                  [email-masked]
Philadelphia, PA 19104         215-662-3069/3091 fax: 215-349-5843