Subject: Re: CCL:Model Builders for LINUX

From: Victor Lua~na <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 01:37:00 +0100 (MET)

Konrad Hinsen <[email-masked]> wrote:
:Actually, their (second) argument does point to a problem with
:Linux. If you want to provide support for a program running under
:a certain system, you must have a machine running it and support people
:knowing it reasonably well. Linux is not really a well-defined
:system; strictly speaking, "Linux" is just the kernel. There are
:endless combinations of system libraries, utility programs, file system
:layouts etc. out there, all of which under the generic name "Linux".

:A possible solution would be to offer support only for a well-defined
:distribution (or a few of them) without any modifications. Whether
:this works in practice is of course an open question - I am not aware
:of anyone using such an approach.

   Compiling and distributing a static version of the program will avoid
any library conflict problem and it will work on any linux distribution.
Distributing the source code is even better >:-)

           Regards,
                    Victor Lua~na

--
 HomePage  %%http://www3.uniovi.es/~quimica.fisica/qcg/vlc/luana.html%%
 NOTICE: Return addresses contain spurius %'s to delude brainless spammers
+----------------------------------------------+  +---^---/    /
!               Victor Lua~na                  !  |   ~       / Just in case
! Departamento de Quimica Fisica y Analitica   !  |           | you don't
! Universidad de Oviedo, 33006-Oviedo, Spain   ! <            / remember
! e-mail: [email-masked]%% !  |          /  where Oviedo
! phone: (34)-8-5103491  fax: (34)-8-5103125   !  |____  ___/   is  ;-)
+----------------------------------------------+       \/