Subject: 98.04.15 CHEMISTRY AND PHYSICS OF MOLECULES AND GRAINS IN SPACE

From: Peter Sarre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 19:23:33 +0100 (BST)

Royal Society of Chemistry Faraday Discussion 109, 
The University of Nottingham, UK, 15-17 April 1998

"CHEMISTRY AND PHYSICS OF MOLECULES AND GRAINS IN SPACE"

The preliminary programme and other information are now available:

* on the WWW at http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/faraday.html, or....
* by ftp from brian.chem.nottingham.ac.uk, log on as ftp,
  use your E-mail address as the password to get faraday.txt, or....
* by post; please write requesting the First Circular to:
  Ms S Riaz, The Royal Society of Chemistry, Burlington House, Piccadilly,
  London W1V 0BN

        This Faraday Discussion of the Royal Society of Chemistry
        is sponsored by the Astrophysical Chemistry Group which is
        affiliated to the Royal Astronomical Society. It is limited   

Faraday Discussion no. 109
CHEMISTRY AND PHYSICS OF MOLECULES AND GRAINS IN SPACE

Preliminary Programme

INTRODUCTORY LECTURE: Frontiers of Astrochemistry
D A Williams, University College London

Chemical Processes in Astrophysical Radiation Fields
A Dalgarno, Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, Cambridge, USA, 
and P C Stancil, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, USA

Chemical Models of Hot Molecular Cores
T J Millar and J Hatchell, UMIST, UK

Molecules in Harsh Environments
J H Black, Onsala Space Observatory, Sweden

Observational and Theoretical Constraints on the Chemistry of Pre-Stellar 
Nebulae
R Plume, E A Bergin, P Myers and J Williams, Harvard-Smithsonian Center 
for Astrophysics, Cambridge, USA   

The Calculation of Molecular Opacities for Stellar Atmospheres
D W Schwenke, NASA Ames Research Center, California, USA

Inorganic Dust Formation in Astrophysical Environments
H-P Gail, University of Heidelberg, Germany, and E Sedlmayr, TU Berlin, 
Germany

The Role of Molecules and Dust in Shells Around Carbon Stars
B Gustafsson and K Eriksson, Uppsala Astronomical Observatory, and H 
Olofsson, Stockholm Observatory, Sweden

Neutral-neutral reactions at the temperatures of interstellar clouds: 
rate coefficients for reactions of C2H and C atoms
D Chastaing, P L James, I R Sims and I W M Smith, University of 
Birmingham, UK

Low Temperature Electron Attachment to Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons
T Moustefaoui, C Rebrion-Rowe, J L Le Garrec, B R Rowe and J B A 
Mitchell, Université de Rennes, France

Circumstellar Molecular Absorption Lines from the Ultraviolet to the Infrared
E J Bakker and D L Lambert, University of Texas, Austin, USA

New Carbon Chains in the Laboratory and in Interstellar Space
P Thaddeus, Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, Cambridge, USA

Crossed Molecular Beam Investigations on the Formation of Carbon-bearing 
Molecules in the ISM via Neutral-Neutral Reactions
R I Kaiser, D Stranges, C Ochsenfeld, M Head-Gordon and Y T Lee, 
University of California, Berkeley, USA

What ISO tells us about Gas-Grain Chemistry
E F van Dishoeck, Leiden Observatory, The Netherlands

Some Striking New Spectral Evidence Supporting the H2 DIBs Theory
P P Sorokin and J H Glownia, IBM Research Division, Yorktown Heights, USA

Electronic Spectroscopy of Carbon Chains and Relevance to Astrophysics
J P Maier, University of Basel, Switzerland 

Excitation Processes for the Emission of UIR Bands
O Guillois, G Ledoux, I Nenner, R Papoular and C Reynaud, SPAM CE Saclay, 
France

Infrared Molecular Astronomy
P F Bernath, University of Waterloo, Canada

Apolar Ices
P Ehrenfreund, Leiden Observatory, The Netherlands, A C A Boogert, 
Kapteyn Astronomical Institute, The Netherlands, P A Gerakines, 
Rensselaer Polytechnic, USA, and A G G M Tielens, NASA Ames Research 
Center, USA

Probing the Connection between PAH's and Carbonaceous Grains
C Joblin, CESR, Toulouse, France

From the Interstellar Medium to Planetary Atmospheres via Comets 
T Owen, Institute for Astronomy, Hawaii, USA 

Molecular Evolution in Planet-forming Circumstellar Disks
Y Aikawa and S M Miyama, National Astronomical Observatory of Japan, T 
Nakano, Nobeyama Radio Observatory, and T Umebayashi, Yamagata 
University, Japan

Evidence for Extraterrestrial Origin of PAHs in the Martian  Meteorite 
ALH84001
S J Clemett, X D F Chillier, J S Gillette and R N Zare, Stanford 
University, USA

Exploring Grains and Molecules on Earth Using Stable Isotope Techniques
C T Pillinger, The Open University, UK

Interstellar and Cometary Ices: Molecular Emission From Recent Comets'
W M Irvine, C H DeVries, J E Dickens, A J Lovell, F P Schloerb and M 
Senay, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, D Jewitt, Institute for 
Astronomy, Hawaii, and H E Matthews, Joint Astronomy Centre, Hilo, 
USA     

Physics and Chemistry of Comets: Recent Results From Comets Hyakutake and 
Hale-Bopp
J Crovisier, Observatoire de Paris-Meudon, France