Subject: INCREASING CPU UTILIZATION WITH NT4

From: Laurence Lavelle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 1997 19:20:50 -0800

HI,

I HAVE A DUAL PENTIUM 133MHZ WITH NT4 WORKSTATION RUNNING VERY CPU
INTENSIVE CALCULATIONS (AB INITIO IN HYPERCHEM 5.02) FROM DAYS TO WEEKS
IN DURATION.

196 MB RAM

5GB VIRTUAL MEMORY (ALL SCSI HD'S WITH A SUSTAINED DATA TRANSFER RATE OF
10MB/S.)

(The machine could be upgraded to dual 200MMX.)

HOWEVER TASK MANAGER SHOWS CPU UTILIZATION AT A CONSTANT 54%.

ONLY WHEN I USE OTHER ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE DOES THE CPU UTILIZATION GO
ABOVE 54% AND UP TO 100%.

<bold>HOW DO I OBTAIN HIGHER (100% ?) CPU UTILIZATION WITH ONLY THE
COMPUTATIONAL SOFTWARE RUNNING?

</bold>

THANKS IN ADVANCED.

LAURENCE LAVELLE

<center>

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Laurence Lavelle, Ph.D.

University of California Los Angeles

Molecular Biology Institute, and Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry 

Laboratory of Structural Biology & Molecular Medicine

Los Angeles, CA 90095-1570, USA

Email:[email-masked]

Phone (Lab): (310) 206-8270

Phone (Office): (310) 825-2083

Fax: (310) 267-1957

http://www.doe-mbi.ucla.edu/people/lavelle/lavelle.html

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

It will be a great day when schools have all the money they need,

and the military has bake day sales.

In nature's infinite book of secrecy

A little I can read.

</center>