Subject: C++ summary

From: Alexander J Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 09:30:41 +0100

Hi!

Thanks for all the info on C++.  I enclose a summary covering several
books.

Best wishes

Alex

############################################################################

Well, I can tell you what I used to learn C++ without any previous

knowledge of C (but with experience with other programming languages):

C++ Programming 101 by Greg Perry, published by SAMS Publishing.

This is pretty much all I read, and I have been writing my own molecular
dynamics code in C++ ever since then, so it must be pretty good.  This
book is at an introductory level, though, so depending on what you're
looking for it may not be sufficient.

Hope this helps.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
  Naoko Akiya                        [email-masked]
  University of Michigan
  Dept. of Chemical Engineering      phone (313) 764-7121
  Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2136           fax   (313) 763-0459
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

You might want to look at

Scientific and Engineering C++ by J. Barton and L. Nachman.
Addison-Wesley Publishing Co.,
ISBN # 0-201-53393-6

===================================================================
Enrico O. Purisima
Biotechnology Research Institute           e-mail: [email-masked]
National Research Council of Canada        phone : (514) 496-6343
6100 Royalmount Avenue                     fax   : (514) 496-5143
Montreal, Quebec H4P 2R2  CANADA
===================================================================

"cpluscplus.mal" 155 lines, 5453 characters 
> cat 

Suspended
> jobs
[1]  - Suspended (tty input)  rsh ocisgi15 /usr/programs/gv/gv
[2]  + Suspended              cat
> kill %2
> cat cpluscplus.mal
Well, I can tell you what I used to learn C++ without any previous
knowledge of C (but with experience with other programming languages):

C++ Programming 101 by Greg Perry, published by SAMS Publishing.

This is pretty much all I read, and I have been writing my own molecular
dynamics code in C++ ever since then, so it must be pretty good.  This
book is at an introductory level, though, so depending on what you're
looking for it may not be sufficient.

Hope this helps.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
  Naoko Akiya                        [email-masked]
  University of Michigan                
  Dept. of Chemical Engineering      phone (313) 764-7121        
  Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2136           fax   (313) 763-0459
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

You might want to look at 

Scientific and Engineering C++ by J. Barton and L. Nachman.  
Addison-Wesley Publishing Co.,
ISBN # 0-201-53393-6

===================================================================
Enrico O. Purisima
Biotechnology Research Institute           e-mail: [email-masked]
National Research Council of Canada        phone : (514) 496-6343
6100 Royalmount Avenue                     fax   : (514) 496-5143
Montreal, Quebec H4P 2R2  CANADA
===================================================================

I used

B.Stroustrup, "The C++ Programming Language", 2nd Ed., Addison-Wesley
1991
(it's the classic by the inventor of the language) and

G.Buzzi-Ferraris, "From Fortran to C++: An Introduction to
Oject-Oriented
Programming Applied to Numerical Problems", Addison-Wesley 1991 or later

Regards

Guido Germano                          PhD student in Computational
Chemistry

Dipartimento di Chimica e Chimica Industriale    e-mail
[email-masked]
Universita` di Pisa                        
http://www.dcci.unipi.it/~germano
Via Risorgimento 35                          finger
[email-masked] 
I-56126 Pisa                     phone +39-50-918.266, .295 or .239, fax
 .260

Professor Turner:

        There is an *excellent* book on C++ that I would 
recommend highly:

        "Practical C++ Programming"
        by Steve Oualline
        O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
        1995  (list price is 32.95 U.S. dollars)

In general, computer books published by O'Reilly tend to be
extremely well-written and user-friendly.  Good luck!

                                --Jack Hammer
                                Graduate Student, Yale University

Dear Dr.Turner,
        There is a lot of C++ tutorial on the net. You can find a list
of them at

http://www.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Programming_Languages/C_and_C__/
http://www.strangecreations.com/library/c/index.htm

        Hope this help.

Yours,
Somsak Tonmunphean.

Hi

I stumbled upon this WWW site which is quite a useful resource for
C, C++, and Java.

http://www.mit.edu:8001/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/t/h/thomasc/Public/
prog/index.html

I still ended up buying a book though. (I'm not at my desk right
now, so I can't remember which one.)

Regards

Rod

-------------------------------------------------
R. M. Macrae
Muon Science Laboratory
Institute of Physical and Chemical Research (RIKEN)
e-mail: [email-masked] (normal)
 and  : [email-masked] (MIME-encoded)
 Tel  : (81) 484 62 1111 ext 3336
 Fax  : (81) 484 62 4648
-------------------------------------------------

Stroutstrup's original book (the C++ programming language) is not bad
for people who already know programmin in general - it teaches C++
without first teaching you what a variable is.

There is a book called "Scientific and Engineering C++" (or a similar
title), published by Addison-Wesley, which is of a more advanced
nature (not necessarily a very good introduction, although it claims
to be), but aims at the correct audience. It's probably easier to
learn C++ with some well-written and meaningful code at hand.
-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Konrad Hinsen                          | E-Mail: [email-masked]
Laboratoire de Dynamique Moleculaire   | Tel.: +33-4.76.88.99.28
Institut de Biologie Structurale       | Fax:  +33-4.76.88.54.94
41, av. des Martyrs                    | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/
38027 Grenoble Cedex 1, France         | Nederlands/Francais
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Alex,

the same question I asked half a year ago. I got the following
answer :
        
        John J. Barton, Lee R. Nackman
        Scientific and Engineering C++
        An Introduction with Advanced Techniques and Examples
        Addison Wesley Longman, Inc., 1994, Reprint March 1997
        ISBN 0-201-53393-6

I think, it is really good. From the preface :
"We expect the book to be useful to three (overlapping) groups :
(1) Engineers and scientists who are experienced programmers in 
FORTRAN or C, (2) Professional programmers experienced in C or C++
lloking for a new systematic discussion of object-oriented programming
in C++, and (3) C++ programmers interested in advanced examples
useful as a basis for scientific and engineering programming."

Hope this helps,
Ciao
Heinz
        
-- 
Dr. Heinz Schiffer                  Phone
++49-69-305-2330                      
Hoechst Research & Technology       Fax  
++49-69-305-81162                     
Scientific Computing, G864          Email
[email-masked]         
65926 Frankfurt am Main                   [email-masked]

-------------------------------------------------------------------
| Dr. Alexander J Turner       |                                  |
| Universitaet Zuerich         |Tel.:    (41)-1-6354239           |
| Organisch-Chemisches Institut|Fax:     (41)-1-6356812           |
| Winterthurerstrasse 190      |                                  |
| CH-8057 Zuerich              |E-Mail:  [email-masked] |
| Switzerland                  |                                  |
-------------------------------------------------------------------