Subject: SUMMARY: Web-based Molecule Builder

From: David Giesen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 16:51:53 -0500

Thanks to all who replied to my question about a web-based molecule
builder.  Unfortunately, it seems as though there are no magic bullets
currently out there.

Here is a summary in my own words of responses to date:

Dr. Vladimir Gusev has a nice java builder for MCM-41 crystal
structures.  Find it at http://pluto.njcc.com/~vgusev

Dr. Wolf-D. Ihlenfeldt has a very advanced 2-D sketcher.  Find it at
http://www2.organik.uni-erlangen.de/services/3d.html

ChemSymphony looks like a very interesting set of java tools for
rendering/rotating/measuring molecules (but not building) inside a web
page.  Find it at http://www.cherwell.com/chemsymphony/index.html.

MicroSimulations has a slick 3-D builder called AccuModel (not
web-based) which I like a lot.  Find it at
http://www.microsimulations.com.

AccuModel is licensed by Interactive Simulations as part of their
package with Sculpt that works with Chime and ISIS (they call their
licensed version Chembuilder).  Find it at http://www.intsim.com.

And there is WebLab Viewer Pro from Molecular Simulations Inc, a nice
package which is built to work with their Web Software Developer's Kit. 
Find it at http://www.msi.com.

Thanks again to all who replied, and I'm still interested in hearing if
there are any 3-D web-based molecular builders out there.

Dave