Subject: visualizing normal modes?

From: Dan Strahs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 13:22:58 -0500 (EST)

I'm trying to visualize some the normal mode eigenvectors for systems I've
been working with. 

I have a number of options, but none really satisfy me.

a) I can use Insight/Biosym/MSI to draw arrows attached to the atom
positions; but this is an extraordinarily crude approach. It also requires
me to iteratively read in and delete the objects associated with the
particular mode I want to consider. 

b) I have code which I can adopt to generate Postscript stereo views of
the atoms with the eigenvectors. But these can't be manipulated in 3-D and
it would, in the end, use ALOT of paper. Of course, I could save on the
paper by using ghostview to display, but that still leaves me with a fixed
visualization.

c) I can use Geomview to import the atoms as small spheres and draw 
cones and cylinders for the eigenvectors. This suffers from the same
process of iterative reading as the Biosym/Insight solution.

Is there some package (preferably free) which will:

	1) Display atoms and eigenvectors in a 3-D, rotatable reference
frame;
	2) Allow me to import the entire calculated set of normal modes
and visualize them individually without progressive reloads;

	3) Generate some form of output (i.e. Postscript) 

Thanks for any help that can be offered in this regard.

					Dan Strahs, Chemistry Dept., NYU