Subject: MJS Dewar died October 10

From: "Andy Holder" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 14:06:44 -0600

Dear Netters and Friends,

  On October 10 of this year MJS Dewar died of congestive heart failure in a 
hospital in Gainesville, FL.  After speaking with his son Steuart, it seems 
that his death was not difficult.

  Since most (if not all) of us use his methods and ideas in our work, I 
thought it beneficial to take a moment and review just a few of Michael 
Dewar's contributions to computational chemistry.  There is a short (and 
woefully incomplete) list below.  Even more than his direct contributions to 
the literature (over 600 papers), Professor Dewar sparked people to think 
differently and in unconventional ways.  As many of us know, he was involved 
in many hot controversies in the literature, all of which had the result of 
advancing science.  Michael Dewar would not let you just plod along in the 
same old rut.  His sparkling prose and inimitable speaking style challenged 
audiences and stimulated discussions for decades.  I think it fitting that 
Michael died in early October, when the Nobel Prize recipients are announced.  
His contributions are certainly worthy of the prize, and he was a perrenial 
candidate for it.

1.  Perturbation molecular orbital (PMO) theory
2.  MINDO3 semiempirical method
3.  MNDO semiempirical method
4.  AM1 semiempirical method
5.  SAM1 semiempirical method
6.  AMPAC and MOPAC programs
7.  Elucidation of basic reaction mechanisms throughout organic chemistry  
    through the application of theoretical methods
8.  Basic contributions in the theory and implementation of semiempirical
    methodology

  A little recent history is probably in order.  Professor Dewar left the 
University of Texas about 1990 and accepted a research professorship at the 
University of Florida.  He worked there on development of the SAM1 method 
until 1992, when he retired.  Michael completely left chemistry when he 
retired, and enjoyed reading (virtually anything), music, old movies, and 
Chinese cooking to mention just a few of his many interests.  Mary Williamson 
Dewar, his and wife and best friend of over 50 years, passed away in 1994.  
There was no memorial service for Michael, and his ashes will be spread with 
those of Mary in the Lake District of northern England, where they honeymooned 
many years ago.   He is survived by his two sons C.E. Steuart Dewar of 
Morganton, GA and Robert B.K. Dewar of New York City.

  He challenged those of us who had the great fortune to work with him in ways 
we never imagined.  He was a loyal and caring mentor and was always gracious 
and kind, even in those painful moments when we insisted on learning the "hard 
way".

Not just those of us who knew him, but SCIENCE will miss him.  A great man has 
left us.

Regards, Andy Holder

PS.  There are preliminary efforts underway to develop an endowment in 
     Professor Dewar's name at the University of Texas at Austin.  If you 
     are interested in being added to the mailing list for this, please let 
     me know.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
 
UUUU  UUU MMM   MMKK KKKK   CCCC   |           ANDREW J. HOLDER
 UU    U   MM   MMK   K    CC  CC  | Assoc. Prof. of Comp./Org. Chemistry
 UU    U   MMM M MK KK    CCC      |          Dept. of Chemistry
 UU    U   M MM  MK   KK   CC  CC  |  University of Missouri-Kansas City
  UUUUU   MMM M MMKK   KK   CCCC   |         Kansas City, MO  64110
                        KK         |          [email-masked]
                          K        |  (816) 235-2293, FAX (816) 235-5502
 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-