Subject: Help in Mathematical methods.

From: Norge Cruz Hern�ndez <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 22:09:21 -0500 (CST)

Hi,

I am trying to solve the minimization of a function whith non linear 
constrained.

I am using the IMSL MATH/LIBRARY in FORTRAN.Version 1.1 December 1989.
In that, a routine based on a FORTRAN code developed by 
Schittkowski(1986). It uses a succesive quadratic programming method to 
solve the general nonlinear programming problem.
But it is not possible for me to solve the problem. 
I can acces to internet by netscape or by navagator. I can read some WWW 
page by e-mail. 
Would any bady said me any web page on IMSL MATH/LIBRARY ?
Would any bady said me any web page on NUMERICAL RECIPES ? 

best regard
Norge

---

From: Rick Venable <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 12:24:10 -0500 (EST)

> I am trying to solve the minimization of a function whith non linear 

First, let me highly recommend that you look at the code available at NETLIB; 
it has the following attributes: 

o It is mature, well tested, stable code; the linear algebra library (BLAS)
  is the basis for most vendor implementations, and the LINPACK suite used
  to benchmark floating point performance is also here

o It is public domain code, with no restrictions on re-use

o It is highly efficient, well optimized code; for inversion of large
  matrices, I observed a ca. 50-fold speedup in switching from N.R.
  routines to those in NETLIB

o The web site is fairly well organized, and allows you to download just the
  source files you need 

	http://www.netlib.org

Note: use your vendor supplied blas.a library, if available; the routines are
often hand-tuned and optimized for the machine architecture.

> Would any bady said me any web page on IMSL MATH/LIBRARY ?

The IMSL subroutines are commercially available (only) from Visual Numerics,
Inc.; their homepage is at

	http://www.vni.com

> Would any bady said me any web page on NUMERICAL RECIPES ? 

The Numerical Recipes routines are copyrighted, and are generally for personal
use if you've bought the book.  There are restrictions against distributing
code which contains N.R. routines.  Nonetheless, routines and documentation
are available at

	http://nr.harvard.edu/numerical-recipes

Finally, a good pointer to many useful freely available (and commercial) 
Fortran libraries and programs is at

	http://kumo.swcp.com/fortran/

--
Rick Venable                  =====\     |=|    "Eschew Obfuscation"
FDA/CBER Biophysics Lab       |____/     |=|
Bethesda, MD  U.S.A.          |   \    / |=|  ( Not an official statement or
[email-masked]  |    \  /  |=|    position of the FDA; for that,
http://nmr1.cber.nih.gov/           \/   |=|    see   http://www.fda.gov  )