Subject: Re: CCL:M:MJS Dewar died October 10

From: Armel Le Bail <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 11:02:54 +0100

Willie Cui wrote:

>I share you respect to Prof. Dewar and feel the lost of him passing
>away.
>
>On your message, you raised a very import point that his contribution
>to chemistry worthy of the Nobel prize.  I am wondering if computational
>chemistry is overlooked by the Nobel prize committee. 

You may look at the computational chemists performances and try to guess
the next Nobel with the ISI's 1000 Most Cited Chemists list :
        http://fluo.univ-lemans.fr:8001/1000chimistes.html

A kind of Pandora box...

Armel Le Bail - Universite du Maine - Laboratoire des Fluorures
CNRS UPRESA 6010 - Avenue O. Messiaen - 72085 Le Mans cedex 9 - France
Web : http://fluo.univ-lemans.fr:8001/

---

From: Willie Cui <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 22:30:19 -0800

Armel,

I took a quick look of the list and surprised to find that Allinger, NL
is not on the list. I know that his paper on MM2/MM3 are widely cited.

In my own experience, I found the work of Allinger, Pople J, and Dewar
have most profound and practical impact on the modern computational
chemistry. The amount of insight, work, and care that went into the
three packages, MM2/MM3, Gaussian, and AMPAC/MOPAC, are just tremondous.
It will be of great excitment that they get Nobel prize.
It is not too late for Allinger and Pople yet.

Armel Le Bail wrote:
> -------This is added Automatically by the Software--------
> -- Original Sender Envelope Address: [email-masked]
> -- Original Sender From: Address: [email-masked]
> [email-masked]: Everybody | [email-masked]: Coordinator
> [email-masked]: HELP CHEMISTRY or HELP SEARCH | Gopher: www.ccl.net 73
> Anon. ftp: www.ccl.net   | [email-masked] -- archive search
>              Web: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry.html

-- 
Willie Cui			voice: 201-512-0486
MicroSimulations		fax:   201-512-0489
478 Green Mountain Road		email: [email-masked]
Mahwah, NJ 07430		URL:   http://www.microsimulations.com