Subject: Re: CCL:G:Lists and Noble Prizes

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 14:37:15 -0500

Dr. Allinger is on the list of the 1000 most cited chemists! he is the 
     374th most cited chemist on that list: 

 Author name            average  total   total   rank
                        cites    articles cites
 ALLINGER NL            26.06   138     3596     374

Unfortunately, the MM2 and MM3 works may be cited hundreds of time, but not
attributed to Allinger. There are 278 entries for direct citations of the 
programs mm2, mmp2, and mm3, without citing Allinger. Here are a few of them:

Hits   Cited Author          Cited Work                Volume      Page     Year
      1                      MM2 77 QCPE                            395         
      1                      MM2 85                                     1985
      1                      MM2 85 QCPE                                        
      1                      MM2 MMP2 QCPE 395                                  
      1                      MM2 MMPM PROGRAMS                           1989
      1                      MM2 MOL MECHANICS              2                   
      1                      MM2 PROGRAM CHEM 3D                    151  1990
      1                      MM2 PROGRAM MANUAL                          1980
      1                      MM2 PROGRAM VERSION                         1987

If each of these was only cited once, that would make his citation count at 
least 3874, moving him up about 50 positions, I didn't check the complete 
list, but many of the "cited works" are cited many times.

Lots of articles just say they used MM2/3 without citing it. Unfortunately, 
there is no standard way that authors are citing software packages and 
versions that allows searching for them in a convenient way. There are 
several other scientists on that list whose citation counts would increase 
if citations of their software packages or other commercialized works were 
included.

Also note that our citation counts do include the articles where Dr. 
Allinger is not the primary author. 

Dr. Matthew Clark
Institute for Scientific Information
http://www.isinet.com