Subject: Re: CCL:Compress/Uncompress/TAR for NT or MsW3.11

From: "Walter E. Reiher III" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 21:54:53 -0800

At 2:03 AM +0000 12/16/97, John McKelvey wrote:
>Can anyone point me to  utilities for either W3.11 or WNT4.0 that
>perform the equivalent of the Unix Compress/Uncompress and TAR
>functionalities?

In addition to Wayne Huang's pointers, see:

- Software from the Info-ZIP project, http://www.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/
  This is a freeware implementation of zip/unzip, compatible with PKZIP.
  It comes with source code and is portable to a number of platforms; I've
  built and used it under WfW 3.11, NT, and various UNIXes.  These .zip
  archives are compatible across all of supported platforms.
  - These are command line programs, lacking the nice GUI of WinZip.
  - If you're not familiar with PKZIP, it's both an archiver and compressor;
    equivalent to 'tar cf selection.tar selection; compress selection.tar',
    except that ZIP's compression is generally better than UNIX compress/
    uncompress.

- For an NT implementation of tar, compress, uncompress and lots of other
  UNIX utilities, see the MKS Toolkit, http://www.mks.com/solution/tk/
  It's a nice solution for providing a UNIX-like environment under NT,
  including a Korn shell.
  - This tar works on .tar files; don't expect it to work with tapes!

Hope this helps,
Wally

========================================================================
Walter E. Reiher III, Ph.D.            mailto:[email-masked]
Computational Chemistry
Drug Discovery Research
Chiron Corporation
4560 Horton Street                                    voice 510-923-3319
Emeryville, CA 94608-2916                               fax 510-923-3360

---

From: "Tamas Gunda" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 09:18:02 +1

> CCLers:
> Thanks!
> John

The best 3rd generation compression utility maybe ZipMagic & PowerDesk
from Mijenix. See www.mijenix.com

Tamas Gunda 

************************************************************************
   Dr Tamas E. Gunda                   phone: (+36-52) 316666 ext 2479
   Research Group of Antibiotics       fax  : (+36-52) 310936
   L. Kossuth University               e-mail: [email-masked]
   POBox 36                                   
   H-4010 Debrecen
   Hungary
************************************************************************