Subject: CCL: PhD/Postdoc position(s) available at Weizmann Institute

From: "Jan M.L. Martin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 11:10:04 +0200 (IST)

TWO PH.D. OR POSTDOC POSITIONS AVAILABLE IN QUANTUM/COMPUTATIONAL CHEMISTRY
    at the Weizmann Institute of Science
============================================================================

The newly established Computational Chemistry research group at the 
Weizmann Institute of Science (Rechovot, Israel) is looking for two 
Ph.D. student or postdocs:

Position (1):
research in the framework of a Minerva project on computational study of 
organometallic homogenous catalysts, including some light methodological
work in the area of ab initio calculations on transition metal complexes.
The work involves interaction with a high-profile experimental synthetic
group (of Prof. David Milstein, same department). 
Suitable candidates should either have a background in organometallic
chemistry and a willingness to learn computational methods, or be computational
chemists interested in working on organometallics.

Position (2):
methodological research in the area of very accurate ab initio calculations
of structural, spectroscopic, and thermodynamic properties of small molecules,
including anharmonic force fields. (Some flexibility of research exists for
this position.) 
Suitable candidates should have a background in chemical physics,
computational chemistry, or molecular spectroscopy. Programming skills
(preferably Fortran) are an asset.

Fluency in English (not necessarily mother tongue level) is essential.
(Supervisor also speaks French, Dutch, German, and "new immigrant" Hebrew.)
Assets for both positions are:
* good computer skills (Unix, Macintosh)
* aptitude for scientific writing and reporting in English
* ability to work creatively and with some degree of independence

Applicants for a Ph.D. level position should satisfy the admission requirements
to the Ph.D. Program of the Feinberg Graduate School, full details of which
are available at
   http://www.weizmann.ac.il/feinberg/fgs3.html
where salary and benefits information can also be found. Ph.D. positions will
be for 3 years, with a 1-year trial period and a possible 4th-year extension.

Applicants for a postdoctoral position should have obtained a Ph.D. within
the last three years. Details of salary and benefits for postdocs at the 
Institute are available at
   http://www.weizmann.ac.il/feinberg/wispdoc.html
Postdoctoral positions will be for 1 year, extendable by mutual agreement.
Applicants with previous postdoc experience may qualify for a higher
remuneration scale and will be encouraged to develop their own line of
research.

Living expenses in Rechovot are relatively low by Israeli standards.
Neither Ph.D. students nor postdocs have teaching assistancy requirements.

The positions are available immediately but will remain open until filled 
by suitable candidates.

Send CV, list of publications, and contact information for at least
two references to

dr. Jan M.L. Martin
Department of Organic Chemistry
Weizmann Institute of Science
IL-76100 Rechovot, Israel
Email: [email-masked] (preferred)
FAX: +972(8) 934-4142 (from abroad), (08)934-4142 (from within Israel)
Phone: (08)934-2533 (from within Israel)
WWW home page: http://theochem.weizmann.ac.il/

Pre-submission enquiries by Email, FAX, or telephone are welcome.