Subject: J.Mol.Model.: Review open for discussion

From: Henryette Roth <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 09:49:50 +0100 (MET)

OFFICE MEMO					Date: 15/1/1998
J.Mol.Model.: Review open for discussion

Dear colleague,

we are pleased to announce the publication of the second Journal of
Molecular Modeling Review entitled

"Three-Dimensional Models of Immune Cell Surface  Proteins and 
Identification of Binding Sites" 

by Juergen Bajorath

The review is accessible free of charge at the journals WWW-sites,

      http://link.springer.de/journals/jmm/ 

and

      http://www.ccc.uni-erlangen.de/info/JMOLMOD/

We encourage you to take part in the Open Discussion. The
following abstract gives you a taste of the subject reviewed. 

________________________________________________________________________________

ABSTRACT

The extracellular regions of many cell surface proteins of the 
immune system contain distinct modules that may be linked in many 
different ways and are often only loosely tethered to a transmembrane 
segment. To identify important regions for binding in these molecules, 
molecular models are used to select residues for mutagenesis and to 
map binding sites. Many immune cell surface proteins belong to protein 
super- families and display only limited sequence identity compared to 
proteins with known three-dimensional (3D) structure, often 30% or less. 
Therefore, their detailed 3D structures are difficult to predict, and 
structure-based sequence analysis and model assessment are particularly 
important components of the model building process. In some cases, 
experimentally determined structures have made it possible to assess 
the accuracy of the predictions, which illustrates the opportunities 
and shortcomings of the approach. Herein the model-based identification 
of binding sites is described and representative examples are discussed.

Tim Clark					Henryette Roth
(editor)					(assistant editor)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^   Journal of Molecular Modeling          ^    Tel:  [+49](0)9131 / 85-2948   ^
^   Editorial Office			   ^   				       ^
^   Computer-Chemie-Centrum                ^          [+49](0)9131 / 85-6567   ^
^   Universitaet Erlangen-Nuernberg        ^                                   ^
^   Naegelsbachstrasse 25                  ^    Fax:  [+49](0)9131 / 85-6565   ^
^   D-91052  Erlangen                      ^                                   ^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^   email:	[email-masked]                                ^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^   http://www.ccc.uni-erlangen.de         ^   http://link.springer.de         ^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^