Subject: Summary of isosurface visualisation library

From: "Alexander Klinsky" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 11:35:36 +0100

Dongchul Lim wrote:
Use ISOVIS from NCSA at UIUC.
Below is the README file of ISOVIS.
-------------------------------------------------------------
NCSA ISOSURFACE VISUALIZER

NCSA Isosurface Visualizer is a 3D visualization tool which allows
a user to generate 3D surfaces of constant value in a simple manner.
Input data must be in the form of a single 3D array of scalar data
stored as a Scientific Data Set (SDS) in an HDF file.  As output, the
program can generate a VSet in an HDF file and/or an object file.  Both of
these files contain the polygons that make up the isosurface.  The
VSet may be viewed by a program such as NCSA PolyView.  The object
file is a simple ascii file of vertices and connectivity; and it
may be viewed by programs such as Personal Visualizer from Wavefront
Technologies, Inc.

If the program has been compiled on a Silicon Graphics Iris, then
ISOVIS also gives you the option of displaying the isosurface within ISOVIS.
You can control color selection, scaling, rotation, etc.  You can also save
the resultant image as a raster image in HDF format.  ISOVIS has been set
up as a non-interactive batch utility to enable users the ability to
create 3D animations from time-dependent data with little effort.

Isosurface Visualizer was written at the National Center for Supercomputing
Applications (NCSA) located at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.
The software was developed by NCSA's Software Development Group and
NCSA's Visualization Services and Development Group.

Theresa Windus wrote:
Hi Ken, (????? my name is Alex ;-)
  Can we do this with the modules in AVS?
I know they are not free, but it is a good
question.

Theresa

Leif Laaksonen wrote:
Hi Alexander,

I don't know about any libraries for the job but the next version of
gOpenMol (1.1) (http://laaksonen.csc.fi/gopenmol/) will do that on
both the Linux and NT platforms.

Regards,

-leif laaksonen

Thanks a lot to all of us for that information esp. Prof. Laaksonen and his
great gOpenmol which seems to solve
my problem in this case.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
-                 Alexander Klinsky                  -
-  Institute of pharmaceutical chemistry    -
-      Department of odour research          -
-     email: [email-masked]      -
-----------------------------------------------------------------
www: http://unet.univie.ac.at/~a9004590