Subject: Summary of polarizabilities...

From: Andres Aguado <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 13:24:45 +0100

Dear netters,

A few days ago I posted a question on ionic polarizabilities. The original
message was:

 ............................................................................
Dear All:

I need to know if there is any experimental (or good theoretical)
determination of the polarizability of ions in ionic crystals.
Specifically, I would like to know the polarizabilities of the
following anions:
F- Cl- Br- I- O-- S-- Se-- Te--

and of the following cations:
Li+ Na+ K+ Rb+ Cs+ Be++ Mg++ Ca++ Sr++ Ba++

in the stoichiometric crystals like LiCl or MgO (all possible
combinations), and in the "nonstoichiometric" crystals like
MgF_2 or Li_2O (also all the known combinations). I would like
to know also the polarizabilities of these ions in the
diatomic molecules.

Any help will be very appreciated. Of course, I will make a 
summary of all the responses received. Thank in advance!!

Andres Aguado
[email-masked]
http:\\jmlopez.fam.cie.uva.es~aguado
 ...........................................................................

Thanks to all the people who responded!!! Below I give a list of references
on the subject:

Int.J.Quantum Chem.Quantum.Chem.Symp.29 (1995) 523
Chem.Phys. 59(1981) 341
van Dujen & Swart,J.Phys.Chem., in press

See the many papers by Pyper, Madden and Fowler.  A recent one, from which
many previous papers can be traced, is J. Phys. Condens. Matter 9, 471. 

Have a look at: P. C. Schmidt, A. Weiss, T. P. Das Phys.Rev.B. 1979, 19, 5525.
Regards, Martin Kaupp

David Feller, email:[email-masked], has calculated recently the 
polarizabilities of Li+,Na+,K+,Rb+,Cs+,Mg2+,Ca2+,Sr2+,and Ba2+ cations with
MP ab initio methods. His results are near the complete basis set limit.
Contact him if you are interested.
 ...........................................................................

Best regards from Spain!!
Andres Aguado
[email-masked]
http:\\jmlopez.fam.cie.uva.es~aguado