Subject: Molecular Modelling: On-line case studies?

From: "Rzepa, Henry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 08:33:27 +0000

As part of a course on molecular modelling,  I am using a Barco/computer
combination to illustrate typical case studies in molecular modelling. These
are on

http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/local/organic/mod/

I am aware that there is a great deal of similar taught material
out there, some protected behind  "course passwords", some
not. Of the stuff that is freely accessible, does anyone have
any particular recommendations, or successes?  Most of the
material is also "themed". Mine for example concentrates on
organic chemistry.

>From the point of "virtual courses", I am gradually coming to the
idea that a combination of classical lecture (even using chalk!)
and  "enhanced"  materials might succeed better than entirely
virtual courses. This is similar to the idea of "enhancing"
an e-journal, as opposed to merely delivering it electronically.
Comments?

---

From: Hens Borkent <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 17:48:19 +0100

Henry Rzepa wrote,
> an e-journal, as opposed to merely delivering it electronically.

I certainly agree with this. We just started enhancing the organic
text book material with chime based web pages, stressing the
3D structures, and animations of reactions and conformational changes,
and avoiding text and figures that are better read from paper. 
See http://www.caos.kun.nl/wetche/organic/
One wants <b>all</b> students to use it, not just the (few) computer 
freaks. The material should be simple, attractive, and useful,
and not attempt to be as complete as a text book. Compare it to
the lecture notes that so many instructors write, inspite (or because?)
of the 1200 printed pages in the book.
We also organize the computer sessions. Most students do not have easy
access to the proper computers, and even if they had, they have so many
other things to do...
Moreover, the discussions that arise in the computer room are highly
entertaining for all parties. This effect may wear off though, as they
get used to moving molecules with the mouse.

I know it is to no avail, but I want to use the occasion to repeat
another concern expressed by Henry, about Chime drifting away from being 
a stable, multi-platform plug-in. 
(It may have been on a different list.)
When making Chime/javascript pages in 1998 one should have access to a
wide range of machines, operating systems and browsers, as no
combination is certain to work. 
Fortunately our computer centres are rather conservative in
updating OS and browser versions, so we will continue to live in
1997 for a while. 
-- 

  *****    J.H. (Hens) Borkent, CAOS/CAMM Center,
 *CAOS *   P.O. Box 9010, 6500 GL Nijmegen, The Netherlands
*   /   *  Tel 0031 24 36 52137  Fax 0031 24 36 52977
 * CAMM*   e-mail: [email-masked]
  *****    http://www.caos.kun.nl/staff/borkent.html