Subject: Diff. EQ Requirements in PhD programs

From: Steven Bachrach <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 09:13:45 -0600

This is a bit off the subject, but should be of interest to many of the
folks on this list.

We are currently revamping our PhD requirements. The issue of requiring
a course in Differential Equations is now a subject of intense interest.
The ACS Committee on Professional Training no longer requires Diff. Eq.
to obtain the certified ACS BS degree.

Given that decision, we have opted to no longer required Diff. Eq. for
admission. The question before us is should Diff. Eq. still be a
requirement for completion of the PhD?

Preliminary inquiries have indicated that a number of schools have
already eliminated the Diff. Eq. requirement for their PhD program.

I would like to get some feedback on how other PhD programs are dealing
with this requirement. You may, of course, direct your responses to me
or the list. I can summarize for the list - if you wish to remain
anonymous, please let me know.

Thanks

Steve
-- 
Steven Bachrach				
Department of Chemistry
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, Il 60115			Phone: (815)753-6863
[email-masked]			Fax:   (815)753-4802