Subject: Re: CCL:DQS

From: Drake Diedrich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 05:32:35 +1100 (EST)

On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Jan H. Jensen wrote:

> Hello,
> 
> 	I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience with the
> DQS program from Florida State.  Specifically I am trying to port DQS-2.1
> to a linux machine and I am running into some trouble with reserved tcp
> ports.  I have written the people at Florida State already but have not
> heard from them.  If anyone has succeeded with such a port and would like
> to help I can supply further details.
> 
> 			Best regards,
> 					Jan Jensen

   I'm using DQS 3.1.8, so things may be a bit different.  First, choose
names and numbers for your required DQS services (qmaster, execd, and
intercell) and put them in /etc/services.  Avoid conflicting with other
services.

/etc/services
-------------
dqs313_qmaster 610/tcp
dqs313_execd   611/tcp
dqs313_intercell 612/tcp

Next, edit the DQS conf_file (I keep them in /etc/dqs, but the default is
/usr/local/DQS/something) to use the same names as /etc/services.

/etc/dqs/conf_file
------------------
 RESERVED_PORT             TRUE
 DQS_EXECD_SERVICE         dqs313_execd
 QMASTER_SERVICE           dqs313_qmaster
 INTERCELL_SERVICE         dqs313_intercell

   Since you're running Linux though, DQS has recently been packaged for
Debian.  If you're running the latest unstable distribution (hamm), just
install using the ftp method of dselect.  If you're running bo, you'll
have to grab the source and rebuild the package. 
   dpkg-source -x dqs-3.1.8-3.dsc ; cd dqs-3.1.8 ; build

For other distributions, ftp the tar file, apply the patch file, and
run make.  The debian package has a simplified build procedure in the
top level Makefile that supports irix5, irix6, and aix3 as well.

Available from ftp://ftp.debian.org or
http://biocomp.anu.edu.au/~dld/debian/

-Drake

--
Dr. Drake Diedrich, Research Officer - Computing, (02)6279-8302
John Curtin School of Medical Research, Australian National University 0200
Replies to other than [email-masked] will be routed off-planet