Subject: Foresight Conference on Molecular Nanotechnology

From: Elaine Tschorn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 09:51:52 -0800

Sixth Foresight Conference on Molecular Nanotechnology
http://www.foresight.org/conference/MNT6/

Call for Abstracts

November 12-15, 1998 at the Westin Hotel in Santa Clara, CA.
An intensive Tutorial on Critical Enabling Technologies for
Nanotechnology will be held on November 12.

Two annual $5000 Feynman Prizes in Molecular Nanotechnology, one each for
experimental and theoretical work, will be presented.
See http://www.foresight.org/FI/1997Feynman.html for details on
last year's prize.

Nobel Laureate Richard Smalley, keynote speaker at the 1997
conference, says: "The idea behind nanotechnology is ultimately, and
maybe sometime very soon, to custom design the materials around us atom by
atom, much like an architect designs a building."

Topics Covered

This conference is a meeting of scientists and technologists
working in fields leading toward molecular nanotechnology:
thorough three-dimensional structural control of materials and devices
at the molecular level. The conference will cover topics relevant to the
pursuit of molecular control including:

molecular electronics
biochemical molecular engineering
scanning probe microscopy
supramolecular chemistry and self-assembly
materials science
mechanosynthesis
natural molecular machines
artificial molecular machines
artificial self replicating systems
computational chemistry and molecular modeling
computer science
mechanical engineering and robotics applications
relevant chemical systems (fullerenes, diamond, biomolecules, etc.)

Submission information:
Extended abstracts          30 June 1998
Acceptance notices          early August 1998
Full papers                 15 October 1998
Text format                 HTML
Image formats               JPEG and GIF
Video format                MPEG

Send extended abstracts (1-4 pages plus figures) to
[email-masked],[email-masked], and [email-masked].

Authors are encouraged to include the data where relevant and practical.
All accepted abstracts and papers will be permanently archived on the
conference's or author's web server.

Proceedings:

As in previous years, proceedings are expected to be published as a
special issue of the Institute of Physics journal Nanotechnology.
http://www.iop.org/Journals/na

Conference Co-chairs: Al Globus and Deepak Srivastava, MRJ
Technology Solutions, Inc. at NASA Ames Research Center.

Cosponsors:

Caltech Materials and Process Simulation Center
Institute for Molecular Manufacturing
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory NERSC
NASA Ames Numerical Aerospace Simulation Systems Division
Rice Univ. Center for Nanoscale Science and Technology
Washington Univ Lab. for the Study of Novel Carbon Materials

See URL http://www.foresight.org/conference for additional details,
including complete information on the previous meeting in this series:
http://www.foresight.org/conference/MNT05/Nano5.html

Sponsors and Exhibitors at Foresight Institute Conferences

AMP, Apple Computer, ARCO, Autodesk, Beckman Instruments, CaChe
Scientific, Cambridge Scientific, Digital Equipment Corporation,
Digital Instruments, Ford Motor Company, JEOL, Institute of Physics
Publishing, Loral Systems Manufacturing Company, Mitsubishi, Molecular
Manufacturing Enterprises Inc., Molecular Simulations Inc., Niehaus Ryan
Haller Public Relations Inc., Park Scientific, Tripos Associates,
Schrodinger, Inc., Silicon Graphics, Inc., Sun Microsystems, TopoMetrix,
Xerox, Zyvex

Foresight Institute
P.O. Box 61058
Palo Alto, CA  94306 USA
tel.  650-917-1122  fax 650-917-1123
[email-masked]