Subject: spelling of semi-empirical

From: "Jason Lye" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 09:46:30 -0500

Dear Netters,

I received eleven responses to my question about the spelling of
semi-empirical.  Seven people said that it should be one word, quoting
gramatical reasons, and because semi is not a word, it is a prefix, and should
not be hyphenated.

four people said that it should be hypenanted, on the grounds that the the
hyphen prevents the i and e together in semiempirical from forming a new
syllable.

So, I guess there are two schools of thought.

Jason

-- 

_______________________________________________________________________________

Jason Lye,                       |    
Dye Synthesis Research Group,    |    
College Of Textiles,  Box 8301,  |            "Too much of a 
North Carolina State University, |       good thing is wonderful"
Raleigh, N.C. 27695 - 8301       |                   	 
                                 |      		 - Mae West.
      Ph:   (919) 515-6615       |                     
      [email-masked]           |         
_______________________________________________________________________________