Subject: ECHET98: E-Conference on Heterocyclic Chemistry:

From: "Rzepa, Henry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 11:01:59 +0000

<bold><color><param>FFFF,0000,0000</param>ECHET98: Electronic
Conference on Heterocyclic Chemistry.

</color></bold>An Electronic conference for discussing Heterocyclic

Chemistry  will be held from 29 June - 24 July 1998,

Both the World-Wide Web and electronic mail will serve as

delivery mechanisms. The meeting is organized by

the International Society for Heterocyclic Chemistry

and supported by the Royal Society of Chemistry Perkin

Division Heterocyclic Group.  The latter two groups

normally organize an international conference every

two years.  In 1996, it was decided to sponsor an

electronic conference in the alternate year between

face-to-face meetings, following the success of the ECTOC

(Electronic Trends in Organic Chemistry) conferences in

previous years.

We suspect you will find this format both chemically compelling

and surprisingly easy to use. Perhaps, collaborations that

result from participating in ECHET98 can be followed

up at the face-to-face 1999 meeting!

With the exception that reported work is expected to have some

relationship to heterocyclic chemistry, no limitations are placed

on the scientific content of accepted papers.  Special emphasis

will be given to the following areas: (i) new synthetic methodology;

ii) target-oriented synthesis; (iii) biologically active heterocycles;

and (iv) computational heterocyclic chemistry.

In a continuation of the ECTOC spirit, a "best-poster" prize

will be awarded.  Please encourage graduate students and all

co-workers to contribute to this conference in order to make

it a success we can build on.

Keynote Plenary Contributions will include work from the

following Research Groups:

Hannes Froehlich (Vienna)

Shuji Kanemasa (Kasuga)

Alan Katritzky (Gainesville)

Yasuyuki Kita (Osaka)

Peter Kuendig (Geneva)

Al Padwa (Atlanta)

Will Pearson (Ann Arbor)

Ron Warrener (Rockhampton)

ECHET98 will continue the innovative

style introduced with ECHET96 in offering a low cost and

near-instant mechanism for discussing chemistry, with

features such as full color structure diagrams,

"clickable" or editable reaction schemes, rotatable 3D

molecular images, index searches of conference proceedings,

contributed discussions by participants, a conference

"molecular hyperglossary", up to date access statistics for

articles, and a prize for the "best poster".

We are inviting you to consider contributing an article or

poster to this event. The deadline for submitting an

abstract is May 15th 1998. Further details can be obtained

using any of the following procedures;

1. Connecting to the following World-Wide Web location;

   http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/ectoc/echet98/

2. Subscribing to the electronic mail list by mailto:[email-masked]

(ie sending a mail to [email-masked]) 

 the single line message (no signatures please);

   subscribe echet98

During the conference period of 29 June to 24 July 1998,

postings to this forum will primarily involve dialog around

the papers (Q's, A's, comments).  Outside the conference

period, we expect postings to be restricted to information

about the event only.

Discussion will be by e-mail (we find this works best

across a range of time zones) by posting messages to

[email-masked]

At the end of the conference, we anticipate a CD-ROM will be

produced that incorporates articles and posters, electronic
discussions

around them and other useful materials.

We invite you to take part either as a presenter or a socractic

participant in this new and evolving format.  In either case, we

look forward to having you join us on this "off-year" Heterocyclic

Conference.

Henry Rzepa; C. Oliver Kappe; Chris Moody

Executive Committee of ECHET98