Subject: Re: G:Gaussian on PC

From: "M. Nicklaus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 18:22:34 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 15 Mar 1998 12:36:02, Attila Aranyos wrote:

> Does anyone have some data concerning the speed of calculations on
> Pentium II(333Mhz) /Linux based PCs?

Yes. Outstanding.  For small Gaussian test jobs, it's the fastest
platform we've ever seen, faster than Cray Y-MP and Cray J932se
(and many others).

For longer 'real-life' (DFT) jobs, CPU times are only about 50%
higher than on a Cray J932se (in a one-CPU based comparison).

Marc

------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Marc C. Nicklaus                        National Institutes of Health
 E-mail: [email-masked]               Bldg 37, Rm 5B29
 Phone:  (301) 402-3111                  37 Convent Dr, MSC 4255       
 Fax:    (301) 496-5839                  BETHESDA, MD 20892-4255    USA 
      http://rex.nci.nih.gov/RESEARCH/basic/medchem/mcnbio.htm
    Laboratory of Medicinal Chemistry, National Cancer Institute,  &
 Center for Molecular Modeling, Div. of Computer Research and Technology
------------------------------------------------------------------------