Subject: Digital Unix PDB viewer plugin

From: Brian Beck <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 09:58:46 -0600 (CST)

Does anyone know of a PDB (or other molecular format) viewer
PLUGIN for netscape that will work with Digital Unix on a
DEC Alpha?

I'd like to use Chime, but they don't appear to be interested
in porting to Digital Unix.

I can use a helper application for straight links to PDB
files, but the <EMBED> tags trip me up, and most chem
related web pages (including my own) with links to pdb files
use <EMBED> tags.

-Brian
-- 
==============================================================
| Brian W. Beck     |E-mail Address: [email-masked]             |
| Dept. Chemistry   |                                        |
| Univ. of Houston  |URL:                                    |
| 220 Fleming       |http://www.chem.uh.edu/www/pettitt/beck |
| Houston, TX, USA  |VOICE    (713) 743-3264                 |
|       77204-5641  |FAX      (713) 743-2709                 |
==============================================================

---

From: "TJ O'Donnell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 17:36:27 -0600

> related web pages (including my own) with links to pdb files

I bet <EMBED> is tripping you up because you need to configure
your web server to recognize .pdb (or whatever) files and serve
them up with the appropriate mime type.
If you can't reconfigure your server, you can use a cgi program
to produce the "Content-type: chemical/x-pdb" mime type (or
whichever mime type you want to associate with your molecular
structure files).

TJ O'Donnell
[email-masked]
http://www.eecs.uic.edu/~tj