Subject: Re: CCL:Digital Unix PDB viewer plugin

From: Steven Bachrach <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 08:29:50 -0600

No, I don't think this is the problem. Since Brian has created pages
with the EMBED tag before and obviously gotten them to work, the MIME
tage is set properly. The real probelm here is, as Brain mentioned, a
lack of a plugin for the DEC machine.

The last I spoke with the MDL folks, and this was about 6 months ago,
and there was no plan to expand the CHIME product to other platforms
(being an SGI user, I wanted them to enhance the plugin to 24-bit from
8-bit, something we are still waitng for). The problem remains - plugins
are platform specific and until the developer ports to your platform,
you are out of luck. To avoid the problem you need to avoid using the
EMBED tag - you could create two pages, one with one without the EMBED
tag - then on the page without the embed, you can offer the file as a
straight download which the browser canthen direct to helper application
to view the structure.

An alternative is to use a java utility to display your molecules. I
recommend ChemSymphony (http://www.cherwell.com/)for this.

Steve

TJ O'Donnell wrote:
> 
> Brian Beck wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know of a PDB (or other molecular format) viewer
> > PLUGIN for netscape that will work with Digital Unix on a
> > DEC Alpha?
> >
> > I can use a helper application for straight links to PDB
> > files, but the <EMBED> tags trip me up, and most chem
> > related web pages (including my own) with links to pdb files
> > use <EMBED> tags.
> >
> > -Brian
> 
> I bet <EMBED> is tripping you up because you need to configure
> your web server to recognize .pdb (or whatever) files and serve
> them up with the appropriate mime type.
> If you can't reconfigure your server, you can use a cgi program
> to produce the "Content-type: chemical/x-pdb" mime type (or
> whichever mime type you want to associate with your molecular
> structure files).
> 

-- 
Steven Bachrach				
Department of Chemistry
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, Il 60115			Phone: (815)753-6863
[email-masked]			Fax:   (815)753-4802

---

From: Leif Laaksonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 19:11:46 +0200 (EET)

Hi,

I would also recommend the WebMol Java PDB Viewer from EMBL Heidelberg
and its various development tracks. It's a very good piece of software.

http://www.embl-heidelberg.de/cgi/viewer.pl

Regards,

-leif laaksonen

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Center for Scientific Computing    | Phone:      358 9 4572378
P.O. Box 405                       | Mobile:     358 400425203
FIN-02101 Espoo                    | Telefax:    358 9 4572302
FINLAND                            | Mail:  [email-masked]
-------- URL: http://laaksonen.csc.fi/leif.laaksonen.html ---------