Subject: SUMMARY: nonmales in chemistry

From: root <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 19:13:26 +0300 (MSK)

I thank to all who replied. Sorry for waiting so long: but at least I'm
sure to have catched all the replies. 

Regards,
Eugene Leitl, MSU, Polymer Sci. Dept.

P.S. Replies edited.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Susan R. Atlas" <[email-masked]>:
Count me in on your 'woman computational chemist survey'.  I would
identify most strongly as a theoretical chemical physicist, but I do my
share of first-principles calculations. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anonymous (male): 
we recently solicited resumes for a computational chemistry position. 5 of
the 80 resumes received were from persons highly likely to be female.  Two
were ones where no reasonable conclusions could be drawn, and the
remainder were ones highly likely to be male.  One can rarely, however, be
certain from a resume as to a person's gender (and since that's an illegal
basis for selection, it is simply something we make a guess at in order to
satisfy some Department of Labor reporting requirements).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Cicariello-Cook, Janet" <[email-masked]>:
On the CCL you suggested an informal poll to find out an approximate
percentage of non-males in the comp chem field. I can think of 20 women
(including myself) off the top of my head. Given some time to think
about it, and go through old conference lists, etc, I'm sure I can
increase this number. And this would just be people I've actually met.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Abby L. Parrill" <[email-masked]>:
I am one of the comp chem women on the list.  I am not offended at all by
addresses such as 'Dear Sirs', however. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don Gregory <[email-masked]>:
I just did a rudimentary check down through our corp. phone list, and
there are some people I'm not familiar with, so this would be an
underestimate.  The ratio of male to female 'scientists' at MSI is roughly
16% non-male.  "MSI" today is approx. 300 people, approx.40-50% of which
are scientific in nature, so you can come up with whatever raw numbers
seem reasonable. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lisa M. Balbes, Ph.D." <[email-masked]>:
At the 1997 Gordon Conference on QSAR, there were 10-20% women.  At the
charleston conference I just left, there were closer to 30% women. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Terri Soar <[email-masked]>:

I'm just replying to add my name to the "female CCL participant" tally as
(and am proud to admit) a female! 

My supervisor is also female and is a member of the CCL community,
(although I know that she won't bother replying to your email for the poll
as she tends to just look at the message subject headings and ditch the
ones that appear irrelevant to her work!). 

I tend not to get offended by the odd email that address it to Sirs as
these authors are most likely from countries/cultures that just haven't
caught up with equal opportunity and equal talents amongst the genders. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this context the following recent bit of information may also be of
interest: 

(from) SCIENCE-WEEK - Part 1/3

A Free Weekly Digest of the News of Science

March 20, 1998

4. WOMEN NOW SUBSTANTIAL PORTION OF ALL NEW US CHEMISTS
The latest survey of the American Chemical Society, covering
chemists and chemical engineers who graduated between July 1996
and June 1997, shows the following statistics for new women
graduates (percentage of total graduates who are women):
Chemistry Bachelor's Degree: 48.2%
Chemistry Master's Degree: 46.2%
Chemistry PhD Degree: 31.6
Chemical Engineering Bachelor's Degree: 35.4%
Chemical Engineering Master's Degree: 29.3%
Chemical Engineering PhD Degree: 22.9%
QY: Michael Heylin
mailto://[email-masked]
(Chem. & Eng. News 9 Mar 98)