Subject: Alpha 566 vs. 600 MHz

From: "Andrzej Eilmes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 09:54:25 MET+2

Dear CCLers,

By the time my question (whether it is reasonable to pay 17% more to buy
Alpha 600 MHz instead of 566) got to the list I got the answer  from the
dealer. The only difference between the two machines is the processor, so
the gain in the speed in only about 6%. The 600 MHz machine is for people
who want to pay 17% more only to get fastest processor available (but they
will be lucky only for a couple of weeks, as Alpha 633 has appeared in the
catalogue)

To answer the question I got:

>Hi,
>   I am surprised with such a low price. are you sure the DEC alpha 600
>will just cost $8200?

This is not a DEC workstation but based on DEC Alpha (i.e. only
motherboard and CPU is from DEC). Check http://www.microway.com/ for more
info.

        Andrzej Eilmes

----------------------------------------------------------------
  Dr Andrzej Eilmes                   [email-masked]
  Faculty of Chemistry, Jagiellonian University, Cracow, Poland
  Phone: (48-12) 6336377 ext. 213          Fax: (48-12) 6340515
----------------------------------------------------------------