Subject: Other Processors benchmark

From: Jon Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 09:54:13 +0800 (CST)

I lot of people have asked me about my figures about running some common 
comp chem programs under Linux.
As they requested I have used the options they suggested for g77
(-ffast-math -O2 -malign-double) and redone the calculations.

The programs tested where a charmm mini and a charmm dyn run + a Modeller 
homology modelling run. I would like to take in a few other programs such 
as g94 and Amber but really I don't have the time and available time on 
the machines.

The new results are posted for Ppro 200 and PII 266 procs vs common IBM 
and SGI machines. For the PII I have also compared g77 (0.5.21) vs 
Portland Group compiler under Linux.

The page can be found at:

http://www.ibms.sinica.edu.tw/~jon/machines.html

(if the new server keeps up)

Initially I am very impressed with the PII and Ppro esp with the Portland 
compiler, g77 is roughly 2/3 the speed of the portland one. (In my 
previous posting I compared Portland to g77 0.5.19.1 which was alot 
slower). The PII performed significantly better than the other 
workstations I tested (O2, Indigo2 R8000 and IBM 3CT).

I shall be off to Mainland China for a week from Fri so if anyone emails 
me and doesn't get a reply it doesn't mean I am ignoring you!

Regards
Jon
[email-masked]

Disclaimer, if anybody from IBM/SGI gets in touch with me to complain 
about any aspect of these results I will listen to you but pls remember I 
am a computer user not a computer benchmarker.