Subject: The EMSL Publisher - Demonstration Available

From: Chris Parkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 16:01:30 -0700

The EMSL Publisher (Lite)  - Demonstration version now available

http://www.emsl.pnl.gov:2080/proj/publisher/publisher.html

The EMSL Publisher (c) 1997-1998 is a new software product developed to
aid
the process of writing scientific reports and journal articles. This
document
processing application is written entirely using the Java1.1 language,
and as
such will run on all supporting platforms (currently including Win95,
WinNT, MacOS, and many UNIX flavors).

In addition to offering the user the standard word processing features,
the
software also offers :

*      Embeddable Java Applets and JavaBeans
       This allows any Java code to be embedded within the document,
code
       such as molecular editors, graphs, charts, equations etc... The
       demonstration version includes an example 3D Molecular Viewer,
which
       allows 'live' 3D models to be placed into the document.

*      Distributed Document Server
       The user has the option to save and load his document to and from
either
       the local disk or to a remote document server. This enables
multiple
       authors to jointly write papers even if they are physically
separate
       form each other and/or using different platforms.

*      Citations Database
       Built into the full release version of the software is a complete

       citations database, allowing references to be placed within
documents,
       and then automatically formatted and numbered as required.

*      Automatic Journal Styling
       Papers can be written and then automatically styled for the
destination
       journal. i.e., style for an JACS submission, and then with one
click,
       re-style the whole document (references includes) for a J. Chem.
Soc.
       submission.

*      Platform Independence
       The Publisher itself will run on any Java1.1 enabled machine. In
       addition, its documents are fully portable.

*      Chemical Formulae Styling
       Type in a chemical formula in plain text, have the software
automatically
       superscript or subscript the numbers, and place 'proper' arrows
where
       needed.

We have just released a demonstration version of the Publisher Lite,
showcasing the basic features of the software, and are anticipating a
full
featured release during the forthcoming summer.

We'd be grateful if you would take a look at the web site, which details
the
project, download and test the software and pass on your valuable
comments
and suggestions.

web :   www.emsl.pnl.gov:2080/proj/publisher/publisher.html
email : [email-masked]

The Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory is a Scientific User
Facility at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory funded by the Office
of
Biological and Environmental Research in the U.S. Department of Energy.
PNNL is operated by Battelle Memorial Institute for DOE under contract
DE-AC06-76RLO 1830.