Subject: First Announcement - Fifth International Chemical Structure Conference

From: Guenter Grethe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 17:20:57 -0800

This announcement has been posted on several listservers, I apologize for 
any duplications.

!!!!!  FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT  !!!!!
!!!!!MARK YOUR CALENDAR  !!!!!

FIFTH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE    CHEMICAL STRUCTURES

Sunday, June 6 through Thursday, June 10, 1999

Leeuwenhorst Congress Center, Noordwijkerhout, The Netherlands

Sponsors:
Chemical Structure Association (CSA)
Chemistry-Information Division of the Society of German Chemists (GDCh)
Division of Chemical Information of the American Chemical Society (ACS)
New Swiss Chemical Society (NSCS)
Royal Netherlands Chemical Society (KNCV)
Royal Society of Chemistry, Chemical Information Group (RSC)

With the Fifth International Conference on Chemical Structures we continue 
this well established conference series that begun in 1973 as a workshop on 
"Computer Representation and Manipulation of Chemical Information" 
sponsored by the NATO Advanced Study Institute and thereafter was held 
under its new name in 1987, 1990, 1993, and 1996.  The 1999 Conference 
should continue the high standard of technical presentations and 
discussions that characterized all previous conferences.

The Leeuwenhorst Congress Center in Noordwijkerhout is a modern 
comprehensive center near Leiden in a quiet rural setting close to the 
dunes and the beach. The Center is located between Amsterdam and Den Haag 
and readily accessible from major European cities by train or automobile.

The conference will consist of several plenary sessions and an extended 
poster session; all submitted papers will be reviewed by a Scientific 
Review Committee.  Additionally, there will be a new-product review session 
and exhibition featuring both commercially available software and databases 
as well as software from research projects.

Scientific Review Committee:
Professor Johann Gasteiger, University of Erlangen - Nurnberg
Dr. Vincent van Geerestein, N.V.Organon
Dr. Guenter Grethe, MDL Information Systems, Inc.
Dr. Gerald Maggiora, Pharmacia & Upjohn, Inc.
Professor Peter Willett, University of Sheffield

--------------------------

Topics that are likely to be presented at the conference are listed below, 
but we welcome contributions in any aspect of the computer handling of 
chemical structure information.

Combinatorial chemistry and molecular diversity
library design and method validation
manipulation of large libraries of structures and associated data
virtual libraries, applications and new methods
clustering and diversity analysis
synthetic methodologies

New media and methodologies
web technology and its effect on chemical information
electronic publishing
exchange formats

Molecular modeling and managing three-dimensional databases
use of modeling in new compound discovery
computational methods
representation and searching of conformationally flexible compounds
molecular similarity

Chemical synthesis
representation and searching of chemical reactions
prediction of chemical syntheses and reaction products
post-search manipulation of large hitlists

Others
representation and manipulation of biomacromolecules, polymers, and 
inorganic compounds, including ceramic and composites
structure-activity and structure-property relationships
de novo and structure-based design
prediction of molecular properties
new algorithms for searching and managing chemical structures
structure elucidation

A "Call for Papers" will be published in early summer 1998.  This will give 
further details of the conference, including instructions for submitting 
electronic abstracts.

If you have any questions please free to contact me at the addresses shown 
below:

Dr. Guenter Grethe
MDL Information Systems, Inc.
14600 Catalina Street
San Leandro, CA 94577
USA
+1 510 895-1313 (ext.1430) [voice]
+1 510 614-3638 [fax]
[email-masked]