Subject: Re: CCL:Re: CCL:A General Statement about Non-Intel x86 Processors

From: Michael Hodgson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 15:36:21 +0100 (BST)

> 
> I can get a motherboard with a 200MHz AMD cpu installed for $150.
> With the cheapest PII chip, no motherboard, running $250, this is
> strictly a hard argument to make...
> 

At these prices I'm gonna move to the States :)
The situation in the U.K. is not so clear cut...  My K6 performs well, but
it's not something I would buy again knowing what I know now...  But then
for a different application I could easily accept that they deliver the
goods.  

One final point in AMD's favour is that their tech support is brilliant
compared to intels...

                      <\
*****   -==============+XXX)   *****---------------------------------------
Michael Hodgson       </              email: <[email-masked]>
Protein Structure Group                      <[email-masked]>
University of York,                   www  : www.yorvic.york.ac.uk/~hodgson
Heslington,
YORK,  YO1 5DD

        Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't
----------------------------------------------------------------------*****