Subject: Cooperation Opportunity: Virtual Reality Molecular Modeling

From: Zhuming Ai <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Apr 1998 10:25:14 +0200

Offer for free access to a prototype Virtual Reality Molecular
Modeling system
--------------------------------------------------------------

This is for providing a cooperation opportunity for chemists or
biochemists who are working on molecular modeling or drug design to
use the most state-of-the-art Molecular Modeling in Virtual
Environment technique available today.

At Fraunhofer Institute for Computer Graphics we have developed a
virtual environment, RealMol, for interactive molecular modeling and
molecular dynamics simulation. The CAVE (a highly sophisticated
five-sided VR stereo projection system) or head mounted display and a
cyberglove are used for immersive display and interaction with the
molecular system. A molecular dynamics simulation program (NAMD) is
linked to the virtual environment to simulate the physical and
chemical properties of the molecular system in real-time. A high-speed
network exchanges data between the simulation program and the modeling
program. This virtual environment provides scientists with a powerful
tool to study immersively the world of molecules and is very helpful
in the fields like rational drug design.

We are looking for scientists who want to solve their real-world
problem using a virtual environment. Our goal is to evaluate the
present system and to identify achievements as well as future
directions of research in this field. If you are interested in working
with your own data in our CAVE in Darmstadt, Germany, please contact
us. Currently our program can read molecular coordinate data in PDB
format, and dynamics simulation trajectories in X-PLOR's DCD
format. Your participation is free of charge - publication of the
results is intended, but of course the matter will be treated
confidential if wished.

Details about our project can be found at:
	http://www.igd.fhg.de/www/igd-a4/research/chemie/

Point of contact:

Zhuming Ai, Torsten Fröhlich, Helmut Haase
Fraunhofer Institute for Computer Graphics
Rundeturmstr. 6
64283 Darmstadt
Germany

Fax: +49-6151-155 196
e-Mail: [email-masked]