Subject: Neural network software for PC

From: "Durst, Gregory L." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 14:19:33 -0500

Hello CCL,
I have been looking into the use of neural networks for QSAR problems
and have found a useful shareware program for Windows 95 machines
(WinNN32) that the CCL community might be interested in. I uploaded
WinNN32 to the CCL archive and you may download it from:
ftp://www.ccl.net/pub/chemistry/software/MS-WIN95-NT/Neural-Networks

or the authors page:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lab/9052/winnn.html
(there are a couple links to chemistry applications of WinNN on this
page)

WinNN32 uses a feed-forward, back propagation algorithm that has been
commonly used for "regression" type problems where you want to predict a
response from input parameters.  I have been learning about NNs and have
found the program easy to use and quick. Check it out if you are
interested.

 ... a selected few QSAR/NN references with datasets if you're getting
started, there are lots more of course ...
T. Aoyama, Y. Suzuki, H. Ichikawa, 'J. Med. Chem.', v33, (1990),
2583-2590.
T.A. Andrea and H. Kalayeh, 'J. Med. Chem.', v34, (1991), 2824-2836.
D.J. Livingstone and D.W.  Salt, 'Biochem. Med. Let.', v2, (1992),
213-218.
S.-S. So and W.G. Richards, 'J. Med. Chem.', v35, (1992), 3201-3207.
J.H. Wikel and E.R. Dow, 'Biochem. Med. Let.', v3, (1993), 645-651.

-NN books-
J. Zupan and J. Gasteiger, "Neural networks for Chemists: An
Introduction", VCH, Weinheim, 1993.
J. DeVillers, "Neural Networks in QSAR and Drug Design", Academic Press,
1996, NY

The usual disclaimer: I am only pointing out the availability of the
WinNN program, all risks of using WinNN and it's results are your own.
Regards,
Greg Durst
+---------------------------------------------------------------------+
|   Gregory L. Durst                   Computational Chemistry        |
|   phone:   317/337-3413              Dow AgroSciences               |
|   email:   [email-masked]        9330 Zionsville Rd.  306/D2    |
|                                      Indianapolis, IN  46268   USA  |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------+