Subject: Molecular mechanics in chemistry/Mecanique moleculaire en chimie/Mecanica molecular en quimica

From: "Alexandre Hocquet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 14:29:55 +0200

Dear CCLers,
I once again take advantage of the CCL to make a census in our
computational community on the subject of molecular mechanics and its
applications.I would like to have an idea of what fields of molecular
chemistry are interested by the use of molecular mechanics. 
By molecular chemistry, i mean NOT biomolecular (which, of course, removes
the most part of MM) and NOT material science nor polymers. That is to say,
i would like to know if in 1998, Molecular mechanics as a tool is of
relevant interest for, say, synthetic organic or inorganic chemists,
supramolecular chemists, or physical chemists. 
So, if you are such a chemist, and feel molecular mechanics is a useful
tool for you, that can do things that any quantum method cant do, i would
greatly appreciate your answering me which uses are relevant for your
speciality in a short message.
I would be happy to summarize it to the list if there is sufficient
interest.

Chers CCLeurs,
je profite une fois de plus de la CCL pour faire un sondage a l'interieur
de la communaute sur la mecanique moleculaire et ses applications. Mon but
est d'avoir une idee de quels domaines de la chimie moleculaire sont
interesses par la mecanique moleculaire.
Par chimie moleculaire j'entends PAS le domaine des biomolécules (qui en
est certainement pourtant le plus friand) et non plus la chimie des
matériaux ou des polymeres. C'est a dire que j'aimerais savoir si la
mecanique moleculaire en 1998 a un interet pour, par exemple, le chimiste
organicien, inorganicien, supramoléculaire ou pour la chimie physique.
Donc, si vous etes un chimiste de ce genre, et que vous pensez que la
mecanique moleculaire est un outil utile, qui peut faire des choses
qu'aucune methode quantique ne peut faire, je serais tres heureux de
recevoir votre courte reponse m'indiquant quelles utilisations vous en
faites dans votre specialite.
Je ferai un resume dans la CCL si il y a suffisament de reponses.

Estimados CCLeros,
Aprovecho una vez mas la CCL para hacer una encuesta dentro de la
communidad computacional a proposito de mecanica molecular y de sus
aplicaciones. Mi meta es tener una idea de los campos de la quimica
molecular interesados por mecanica molecular.
Por quimica molecular, entiendo NO biomoleculas (aunque sea el campo
principal de MM) NI TAMPOCO quimica de los materiales o polimeros. Es
decir, quisiera saber si la mecanica molecular, en 1998, tiene interes
para, por ejemplo, el quimico organico, inorganico o supramolecular, o para
la quimica fisica.
Entonces, si es Ud un quimico de este tipo, y piensa Ud que la mecanica
molecular representa una herramienta util, que puede hacer cosas que ningun
metodo cuantico puede hacer, le agradeceria mucho su breve contesta
indicandome cuales utilisaciones Ud hace en su specialidad.
Hare un resumen en la CCL si encuentro suficiente interes.

Alexandre Hocquet
[email-masked]