Subject: CCL

From: "L. Cruzeiro_Hansson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 13:52:45 +0100 (BST)

--------------------------------------------
          Energy Transduction in Biological Systems 
          ---------------------------------------------
                       Summer School
                       ITQB, Oeiras, Portugal
                       June 15 to 27, 1998 

This summer school is part of a program on "Spatio-temporal coherence
in the solid state and in living matter"  promoted by the Institute for
Scientific and Technological Advanced Studies- Portugal (ISTAS - Portugal),
and financed by the TMR programme of the European Community. 

 - Scope: 

The phenomenon of energy transduction, that is, the manner in which energy
is stored, transported and used to perform work in biological systems, is
fundamental for the understanding of many biological processes.
This school will reflect the many approaches that can be used in order to
study energy transduction in biological systems. It will include lectures
on the biological detail of specific systems, as well as some
of the experimental techniques used in their study.

Furthermore, theoretical frameworks will also be described, ranging from
the detail which can be obtained in molecular mechanics and molecular
dynamics simulations, to the identification of functional modes and the
hierarchies in biological organization.

The level of presentation is appropriate for young post-docs and advanced
PhD students, interested in biology, who can have a variety of backgrounds,
such as biological, physical, chemical or mathematical. 

- Topics

- Single molecule studies of muscle contraction 
- Energy transduction from fluctuations and electromagnetic fields 
- Electron and proton transfer in cytochrome c oxidase 
- Effects of long range interactions and two-dimensional energy transfer 
- Proteins as quantum mechanical and nonlinear machines 
- Effects of electron (ion) conformational interactions on charge and
  energy transport in biological systems 
- Proton migration and energy transduction in proton pumps 
- Energy transduction by Photosytem Two: a balance of regulation and
  efficiency 
- Acid-base reactions as driving-force in metabolism, ATP synthases and
  ion-motive ATPases 
- Dynamical hierarchies in biological function 
- Coherent control of chemical reactions: applications to photosynthetic
  centers 
- Molecular ratchets in nonequilibrium statistical environments 
- Electroconformational coupling and biological energy transduction 
- The Lipid bilayer as a modulator of protein function 
- The Redox-Bohr effect: a model for energy transduction mechanisms 

 - Invited Lecturers in alphabetic order:

- M. Anson, NIMR, Mill Hill, UK 

- R.D. Astumian, University of Chicago, Chicago, USA 

- P. Brzezinski, University of Gal Physics Institute, Kiev,Ukraine 
	
- P.L. Christiansen, Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby, Denmark 

- Y. Gaididei, Bogolyubov Theoretical Physics Institute, Kiev,Ukraine 

- J. Heberle, Forschungszentrum  Julich, Julich, Germany 
	
- D. Klug, Imperial College, London, UK 

- V.M.C. Madeira, Centro Neurociencias, Coimbra, Portugal 

- A.C. Scott, Tehnical Univ. Denmark, Lyngby, Denmark 

- M. Shapiro, Weizmann Institute, Rehovot, Israel 

- G. P. Tsironis, University of Crete, Crete, Greece 

- T. Y. Tsong, University Minnesota, (Department of Biochemistry,
  St. Paul, USA) 

- W.L.C. Vaz, Universidade do Algarve, Faro, Portugal

- Organizing Committee: 

                          Leonor Cruzeiro-Hansson
                   Cristallography Department, Birkbeck College,
                      Malet Street, London , WC1E 7HX, UK

   	              Antonio Xavier e Ricardo O. Louro 
                       Universidade Nova de Lisboa,ITQB
                       Apt 127, P-2780 Oeiras , Portugal 

- Grants: 

A number of grants will be available for participants from EU countries.
These grants will be given preferentially to young participants (graduate
students, post-docs, etc.)and may cover travel and living expenses.
Applications including a short C.V. (with a list of publications) should
be included with the registration form. The deadline for grant application
is April 30, 1998. The applicants will be notified before May 17, 1998 by
E-mail or fax whether their applications were successful. 

- Deadlines: 

            Application for grants --- April 30, 1998
            School registration --- April 30, 1998
            Abstract submission --- May 9, 1998

- Sponsors: 

This School is financed by the European Commission through the TMR
programme and ISTAS - Portugal and co-sponsored by: 

 - Ministerio  da Ciencia e Tecnologia (MCT) 

 - Luso- Americain Foundation 

 - Institute of Technology for Chemistry and Biology (ITQB) 

 - Oeiras City Hall 

-  Registration: 

There is a registration fee for the school of 300 US dollars. Payment
will be requested after acceptance of registration. You may register
on-line at the web address:

	    http://milu.ipn.pt/~istas

 or contact the school secretariat at 

	    [email-masked]

 	    fax +351 2 441 1277

and we will fax you the  registration and grant application form. Grants
may cover the registration fee.  

- Correspondance Address: 

            Summer School June 1998
            ISTAS - Portugal
            Apartado 106
            P- 2780 Oeiras, Portugal
            Fax: +351 1 441 1277
            E-mail: [email-masked]
            URL: http://milu.ipn.pt/~istas
       
------------ End of announcement ----------------------------------------