Subject: Summary: Fuzzy logic

From: Arthur Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 08:44:34 -0700 (PDT)

Dear CCLers,

Several days ago, I put forward the question of "what is fuzzy logic". 
Now here comes back the summary of answers.

My original query is:

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Dear CCLers,

I often come across the word "fuzzy logic" in the literature and I cannot 
help wondering what it is. Can anybody here point out some good starting 
references to read?

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Answers:

***************************************************************************

Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 11:51:40 -0500
From: "Thomas R. Cundari" <[email-masked]>

Dear Arthur,

There is a recent book by Rouvray on the apps of fuzzy logic
to chemistry.

Here is the info from Amazon.com

Fuzzy Logic in Chemistry, D. H. Rouvray (Editor)
Hardcover, 300 pages
Published by Academic Pr
Publication date: March 1997
ISBN: 0125989105

Two very interesting papers on using fuzzy logic
to classify the chemical elements have been 
published recently in JCICS.

C Sarbu et al. J. Chem. Info & Comput. Sci. 1996, 36, 1098-1108.
Pop et al. J. Chem. Info & Comput. Sci. 1996, 36, 465-482. 

Tom Cundari

==========================================================================
Professor Tom Cundari		phone:901-678-2629 
Department of Chemistry		email: [email-masked]
University of Memphis		FAX: 901-678-3447
Memphis, TN 38152-6060		www.chem.memphis.edu/compchem.html

Research: Comp inorganic chemistry, artificial intelligence apps in
	  chemistry; catalysis; advanced materials; ab initio, semi-
	  empirical & MM modeling of metal complexes

      *** Starting Fall '98 @ UofM: PhD w/ concentration in Comp Chem ***
==========================================================================

***************************************************************************

>From [email-masked]  Tue May 12 01:45:12 1998

    Arthur,

      I just got an interesting book, "Fuzzy Logic and Neurofuzzy 
 Applications Explained", by Constantin von Altrock (Prentice Hall, 1995).
 I have not had the chance to read it through, but it seems like an
 excellent introduction. I got it very cheaply from a discount bookseller,
 I am sorry I don't still have the address. It includes some free software
 on an attached diskette  - Windoze, unfortunately ;-( 
 
      You may be able to locate this book on the web (try www.amazon.com,
 for example).

      Good luck,

      Randy

All opinions expressed here are mine, not my employer's

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// 
\\ Randy J. Zauhar, PhD             | E-mail: [email-masked]        //
\\ Tripos, Inc.                     |       : [email-masked]      //
\\ 1699 S. Hanley Rd., Suite 303    |  Phone: (314) 647-1099 Ext. 3382 //
\\ St. Louis, MO 63144              |                                  //
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
**                                                                     **
**  "If you have conceptions of things that you can have no conception **
**   of, then the conception and the thing appear to co-incide."       **
**   --- C.G. Jung                                                     **
*************************************************************************

***************************************************************************

>From [email-masked]  Tue May 12 06:39:03 1998

Arthur,

Fuzzy logic is a term related to the 'allowance' of the answer of 'maybe' in a
binary system.  A logical state usually defined as on or off (true or false), but
in this case, you can have really on, kinda on, kinda off, really off (true,
mostly true, mostly false, false).

Here are some sites that have more information that I can provide here.  I hope
they contain the answers you're looking for.

http://www.fuzzytech.com/e_a_esa.htm

http://www-dse.doc.ic.ac.uk/~nd/surprise_96/journal/vol2/sbaa/article2.html

http://www.iol.ie/~rmanley/fuzzy.htm

Sean
[email-masked]

***************************************************************************

>From [email-masked]  Tue May 12 16:34:43 1998

Dear Arthur,

I am not chemistry people, however the following book

Klir, Ynan: Fuzzy Sets and Fuzzy Logic: Theory and Applications
Prentice Hall PTR, 1995

is fine for the first meeting with fuzzy logic.

Best wishes Petr Klan

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Petr Klan
Institute of Computer Science,
Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic
Pod  vodarenskou vezi 2,
Prague 8, 182 07 - Czech Republic

Phone: (+4202) 66053850   Fax: (+4202) 8585789
E-mail: [email-masked]
WWW-page: www.uivt.cas.cz/~pklan

***************************************************************************

Hope these helps!

Arthur

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/   Arthur Wang                     Doctoral Candidate       _/
_/   Molecular Design Lab                                     _/
_/   Institute of Physical Chemistry, Peking University       _/
_/   Beijing 100871, P.R.China                                _/
_/                                                            _/ 
_/   E-mail: [email-masked]                            _/
_/   Tel: 86-10-62751490    Fax: 86-10-62751725               _/
_/   WWW: http://www.ipc.pku.edu.cn/moldes/arthur/arthur.html _/
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/