Subject: molecular builder

From: Rochus Schmid <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 18:41:36 -0600 (MDT)

Dear Netters,

Please forgive me for asking that question, which came up a couple of
times already, I know. But I am desperate and my question is rather
specific:

I am searching for a (simple!!!, 3D!) molecular builder:

- it should run under UNIX/X and be free    (I know cerius2 and insightII
                                             and and and ....)

- it should be very simple   (I don't need ruberbands, rayshading etc. and 
                              it is only for a couple of atoms and not for 
                              proteins)

- it should be able to add or delete atoms by mouse and change bond
      length, angles and dihedrals by selecting the atoms.

- it should be able to read and write the stuff as pdb or xyz or whatever

I follow this mailing list for quite a while now and similar questions
came up quite often, I know.

So I know about gopenmol and xmol and viewmol and molden and vmd and a
couple more. But none of these programs is what I'm looking for.

To make that more clear:
I really like xmol. It's simple and free etc. but you can't build
molecules.

And I really liked the UNICHEM interface by Cray. This was perfect to me
but it is not free ;-)

Is there anything on this beautifull world like that??
I can't believe, that I'm the only one who needs that kind of software.

Thanks in advance for any comment or hint.
Happy computing,

Rochus

********************************************************************
Rochus Schmid                 Phone: (403) 220-3232
University of Calgary         Fax:   (403) 289-9488
Department of Chemistry       Email: [email-masked]
2500 University Drive N.W. 
Calgary, Alberta
Canada T2N 1N4
         http://www.chem.ucalgary.ca/groups/ziegler/ 
********************************************************************