Subject: Adobe Joins CENSA (Collaborative Electronic Notebook Systems Association)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 02:05:09 -0400

For Immediate Release:

      CENSA Welcomes Adobe Systems and Its Support in the Development
      Of Next Generation Digital Archiving and Recordkeeping Systems

  --CENSA dedicated to developing science's newest and most productive
                             research tools--

WOBURN, MA May 29, 1998--Rich Lysakowski, Ph.D., Executive Director of
CENSA (the Collaborative Electronic Notebook Systems Association) and the
Collaborative Electronic Notebook Systems (CENS) Consortium, Woburn, MA
announced, today, that Adobe Systems Incorporated, San Jose, CA has joined
CENSA and the CENS Consortium as a leading Supplier Member.
CENSA is international scientific, software, and high-technology trade
association comprised of the world's largest research and development
organizations in the life sciences, chemical sciences, healthcare, high
technology, and related industries.  The CENS Consortium -- a market
development program operating under CENSA -- is developing the next
generation of scientific automation systems -- collaborative electronic
notebook systems.  Adobe Systems helped launch the desktop publishing
revolution and is, today, one of the world's largest personal computer
software companies.
"As a Consortium Supplier Member, Adobe Systems will play a pivotal role in
our efforts to jointly develop some of science and technology's newest and
most productive research tools," said Rich Lysakowski, Executive Director
of CENSA.  "These collaborative electronic tools will greatly facilitate
research among the world's scientists.  They will also speed the sharing,
reuse, and archiving of critical and proprietary research data, and
accelerate laboratory and R&D projects.  Adobe's far-sighted corporate
philosophy, its commitments and responsiveness to CENSA's needs, and its
technologies for platform-independent compound document exchange will make
them the leader in recordkeeping and archiving components well into the
next century."
"Adobe is committed to supporting products and standards for greater
interoperability," said Christopher Hunt, Business Development Manager,
Enterprise Solutions Division, Adobe Systems Incorporated.  "The CENS
Consortium is important to us because an organization that promotes
interoperability and the reuse of archived records into the next 50-100
years, meshes well with our own strategic direction.  Adobe is committed to
producing applications, file formats and solutions that operate seamlessly
in mixed computer platform environments.  CENSA understands and articulates
these same goals and is similarly committed to fostering the smooth
interchange of information."
"CENS Consortium Supplier Members gain many benefits," said Lysakowski,
"including gaining priority access to our corporate end users and their
automation system development projects; receiving system and component
specifications and other knowledge deliverables; sponsoring specifications
for adoption; receiving and responding to Consortium RFPs; and
participating in the certification and Quality Branding Program."
                                  (more)

Adobe Systems Joins CENSA P.2/
Said Adobe's Hunt, "Getting feedback from CENSA members and being able to
interact with individuals dedicated to the same objectives is also
important to Adobe.  The quality of the CENSA membership means that Adobe
can get high-level input from scientists, R&D managers, executives, records
managers, and IS managers who care about the same issues that we do and who
can provide constructive feedback that helps us improve our products."
"Issues like document fidelity, robust security, long term access and
reusability of data are the cornerstones of Adobe's Acrobat technology and
these capabilities coincide perfectly with CENSA's own long term needs and
product development objectives," said Hunt.
The CENS Consortium is contracting with software and hardware vendors to
construct applications and tools for mission-critical R&D team computing
systems with complete collaborative electronic laboratory notebooks.  Later
this year and continuing into 2000, the CENS Consortium will be releasing a
series of Requests For Proposals (RFPs) and detailed functional
specifications for electronic notebook systems, application integration
frameworks and tools, and specialized applications for scientific and
technical purposes.
These RFPs and specifications focus on the needs of automation managers,
regulatory affairs, R&D managers, scientists, patent attorneys, records
managers, and quality assurance managers, who will benefit greatly from the
development of electronic recordkeeping and integrated systems for
intelligent project data handling and collaboration.
CENSA's economic development programs catalyze new markets by hosting
specialized end user-supplier collaborations to develop products that
accelerate progress and drive innovation in research, product development,
testing and manufacturing laboratories, and related operations.
CENSA represents over 40,000 R&D scientists and over 500,000 employees
working in the pharmaceutical, chemical, biotechnology, healthcare,
software, high technology, and related industries internationally where
government regulations and patents are fundamental to business operations.
Adobe Systems Incorporated develops and supports products to help people
express and use information in more imaginative and meaningful ways across
print and electronic media.  The company offers a market-leading line of
application software and type products for creating and distributing
visually rich communication materials; licenses its industry-standard
technologies to major hardware manufacturers, software developers, and
service providers; and offers integrated software solutions to businesses
of all sizes.
                                   #####
CENS Consortium is a registered trademark of Collaborative Electronic
Notebook Systems Association. Adobe and Adobe Acrobat are trademarks of
Adobe Systems Incorporated. All other products and trademarks are the
property of their respective owners.
For more information contact:

Dr. Rich Lysakowski, Executive Director
The Collaborative Electronic Notebook Systems Association (CENSA)
800 West Cummings Park, Suite 5400, Woburn, MA 01801 USA
Tel: (781) 935-9600, Fax: (781) 935-3113
Internet e-mail: [email-masked]; Website: www.censa.org

Please pardon any duplications in mailing lists that may occur.