Subject: Re: CCL:Summary: Surface!

From: Victor Lua~na <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 13:03:55 +0200 (METDST)

Iraj,

   If gnuplot and plotmtv didn't help you to plot your surface probably you
need more powerful tools. There is not a single program to do the next recipe,
but some smart filters and a little hand work could do the trick:

   1) try to project all your 3D points to a 2D plane. Usually it is enough
      to project them to the best suited of the three cartesian planes:
      xy, xz or yz.
   2) get the Delauney triangulation of your points. The little marvellous
      qhull program, available at the Geometry Center of the University of
      Minnessota, will do nicely the work. If you use qhull to produce the
      triangulation in OFF format you will see that the OFF file has two
      different parts. First part is a list of coordinates of your points, and
      second part is the triangulation itself (i.e. how the points are
      connected to form your surface). You should change the 2D points entered
      to qhull for the original 3D points, taking care in conserving the
      same order.
   3) Geomview, available at the same Geometry center, will let you to see,
      animate and plot your surface.

If the above procedure doesn't help you or if you need details on the web
addresses (I don't have them handy) I would reccommend you to read the
comp.graphics FAQ maintained by J. O'Rourke.

            Best regards,
                          Victor Lua~na

--
 HomePage  %%http://www3.uniovi.es/~quimica.fisica/qcg/vlc/luana.html%%
 NOTICE: Return addresses contain spurius %'s to delude brainless spammers
+----------------------------------------------+  +---^---/    /
!               Victor Lua~na                  !  |   ~       / Just in case
! Departamento de Quimica Fisica y Analitica   !  |           | you don't
! Universidad de Oviedo, 33006-Oviedo, Spain   ! <            / remember
! e-mail: [email-masked]%% !  |          /  where Oviedo
! phone: (34)-8-5103491  fax: (34)-8-5103125   !  |____  ___/   is  ;-)
+----------------------------------------------+       \/