Subject: FW: PC GAMESS or Linux?

From: "Slawek Janicki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 16:35:45 -0500

Windows NT Resource Kit (both Workstation and Server) has a utility called
REMOTE.EXE that opens a command prompt session on a remote NT machine. This
is all you need to run PC GAMESS remotely.

If you need full graphics consider Microsoft Windows Terminal Server (code
name HYDRA).

For a modem connection, REMOTE.EXE will do well of you dial in to the NT
box. Otherwise pcAnywhere is a viable option.

Slawomir Janicki
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Computational Chemistry List
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Przemek
Czyryca
Sent: Monday, June 08, 1998 2:43 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: CCL:PC GAMESS or Linux?

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Alistair Nelson wrote:

> My question is about whether it is possible to remotely access a pc using
> PC GAMESS, if it is how do you do it.

It's possible. There is a free VNC (Virtual Network Computing) package,
acting approximately like Unix's X-server and client (over TCP/IP
network). However, It's very slow and a 10Mbit Ethernet is a
minimum requirement. Working using a modem is probably impossible. More
about it: http://www.orl.co.uk/vnc/

> If it isn't then could someone give
> me some idea of how easy it is to install and, get running, Linux.

The installation is really simple. You may encounter some (but not
really serious) problems while compiling GAMESS (for example - the
Fortran compiler is invoked by 'fort77' instead of 'f77' used in
GAMESS'S scripts).

Regards,

Przemek G. Czyryca  [email-masked]

-------This is added Automatically by the Software--------
-- Original Sender Envelope Address: [email-masked]
-- Original Sender From: Address: [email-masked]
[email-masked]: Everybody | [email-masked]:
Coordinator
[email-masked]: HELP CHEMISTRY or HELP SEARCH | Gopher: www.ccl.net 73
Anon. ftp: www.ccl.net   | [email-masked] -- archive search
             Web: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry.html