Subject: Re: fortran Compiler for Linux Box. Options?

From: "William T. Rankin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 10:40:54 -0400 (EDT)

> What would you recommend? I know the subject has come up in the past,
> but compilers are improved all the time, and I would like a follow
> up on people's experience and recommendations. I will summary to the
> list.
> 
> I am willing to go freeware, but I would spend the money on
> a good Fortran compiler to gain the performance. (I also believe
> there is no freeware fortran compiler for f90 code!)

I picked up some information form The Portland Group, who markets
auto-parallelizing FORTRAN compilers for Linux.  You may want to
look them up at http://www.pgroup.com/

Now having said that, I will point out that even with the best
tools, simply running a compiler over existing serial FORTRAN
codes will most likely not produce highly scalable parallel code
without some sort of programmer direction from within the source. 

Your milage may vary of course.

You may also wat to look at the Bert77 optimiation tools from
Paralogic (http://www.plogic.com/), although they deal mainly
with distributed "Beowulf style" cluster computing.

Good luck,

-bill