Subject: Call For Apps/ACS Theory Subdiv. Grad Student Awards

From: [email-masked] (Michael Page)
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 14:20:41 -0600

(repeat post, this time with the correct email address at the bottom -
apologies, m. page)

IBM Graduate Student Awards in Computational Chemistry

 Below is an announcement for two Awards in Computational  Chemistry that
are open to current graduate students.   We are grateful to   IBM and the
Minnesota Supercomputing Institute for their support of these awards. Let
me urge you to encourage your graduate students to apply.  The competition
is open to any graduate student (regardless of  citizenship) who began
graduate study after August 1, 1995 and who is an ACS member (or whose
advisor is an ACS  member).  These awards are designed to encourage
graduate work in  computational chemistry, to recognize research
accomplishments, and to stimulate interest in the Subdivision of
Theoretical Chemistry  and the Physical Chemistry Division of the ACS.
An Awards Committee will consider all the applicants. The awards
applications should be sent to Rich Stratt at Brown University.

Note that the deadline for applications is August 15.

These two awards,  supported by IBM,  will provide one-time cash stipends
of $2500 and $1000 as supplements to normal financial aid to  doctoral
candidates in the research-dissertation  stage in the 1997-1998 academic
year.  The Minnesota Supercomputing Institute will  provide each awardee up
to 1000 node-hours on an IBM SP2 cluster for  the awardees to actually
carry out a portion of the awarded  research.  The awardees will have
access to the consulting services  of the Institute normally available to
all users.  Awardee selection will be made on a competitive basis.
Applicants should be working on new and innovative computational  chemistry
methods or applications in theoretical chemistry.

Applicants should prepare a written description of a  computational
chemistry research project that requires high  performance computing, with
an explanation of the scientific  importance of the project. Proposals need
to include an estimate  of the computing resources required in SP2
cpu-hours.  Applicants  should explain how they plan to use the grant
funds.  Two letters  of recommendation, including one from the student's
advisor, along  with a vita and transcript, are required. The proposal,
including the vita,  should not exceed five double-spaced pages. In
addition, a faculty person (typically the applicant's research advisor)
responsible for the applicant's use of the Minnesota Supercomputing
Institute resources must be identified.

Forward applications by  August 15, 1998 to

Prof. Richard Stratt
Department of Chemistry
Brown University
Providence, RI  02912
[email-masked]

The awardees will be chosen and announced at the Fall 1998 ACS National
Meeting.