Subject: (Fwd) Science-by-Mail Needs Volunteers (fwd)

From: "Iraj Daizadeh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 09:00:20 -0700

Hello.

Could you post this on the CCL.  It is (almost) a response to an inquiry about
a month ago on connecting kids with scientific pursuits.

Thank you.

Iraj.

Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 23:23:55 -0700
From: Malinda Longphre <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Science-by-Mail Needs Volunteers (fwd)

Science-By-Mail needs your help!

Are you interested in becoming a positive role model for children and
getting them excited about science? Science-By-Mail is a national
program from the Museum of Science in Boston that pairs kids with
volunteer scientist pen-pals. Children and scientists receive two
packets filled with hands-on activities. Kids send their creative
solutions to their assigned scientist who responds with encouraging
feedback.

Science-By-Mail is succeeding in obtaining some key program goals,
including sparking or strengthening an interest in science among
children in grades 4-9, reaching out to girls and minority children, and
dispelling stereotypes about scientists. We want children to see that
scientist can come from many different cultural backgrounds. Of the
1,200 scientists enrolled in the program, over 55% are female. We are
committed to increasing the number of minorities and ethnically diverse
volunteers, so children will realize their own potential to become a
scientist.

Volunteers need to have a  minimum of a bachelor's degree in a science
or technology-related field and you must have the desire to inspire
scientific curiosity in children. Volunteers do not need to be experts
in the fields of the activity packet topics, we provide information on
each topic to the scientists, for each activity. During the course of
the school year, volunteers average about 20-30 hours of their time
corresponding with their pen-pal and reviewing the activities.

Please contact us for an informative volunteer brochure or visit our web
site at http://www.mos.org/

Sincerely,
Jennifer G. Swanson
Science-By-Mail
(800)-729-3300 or 617-589-0437
Fax: 617-589-0474
[email-masked]

Martha L. Booz
[email-masked]

-- 
Iraj Daizadeh
Department of Chemistry
University of California
One Shields Ave.
Davis, CA  95616-5295
Phone:  530.754.8695
Fax:    530.752.8995
email:  [email-masked]