Subject: CCL:Is SGI O2/150 much faster than PII/233?

From: Eugene Leitl <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 22:05:20 +0400 (MSD)

Yubo Fan writes:

 > Recently, someone told me that SGI O2/150 workstation could run G94 much
 > faster than G94W run on PII/233? Is it true?  Could you please give some
 > advice?
 > 
 > Thank you very much
 > 
 > Y. Fan

Five minutes ago I visited 

http://www.amd.com/news/prodpr/9849.html

which said, among other things:

With its SIMD-style instructions and dual register execution
pipelines, the AMD-K6-2 processor can deliver up to four
floating point results per clock cycle. The AMD-K6-2/333 has
a peak floating point performance of 1.333 Gigaflops,
significantly greater than the 0.333-Gigaflop peak performance
of a Pentium II 333, or the 0.4-Gigaflop peak performance of a
Pentium II 400. The AMD-K6-2/300 has a peak floating point
performance of 1.2 Gigaflops, or four times the 3D processing
power of a Pentium II 300, rated at peak performance of 0.3
Gigaflops.

Pricing and Availability
The AMD-K6-2 processor is available now. The
AMD-K6-2/333 is priced at $369; the AMD-K6-2/300 at
$281; and the AMD-K6-2/266 at $185, each in 1,000-unit
quantities. AMD expects to offer a 350-MHz version in the
third quarter and a 400-MHz version in the fourth quarter of
1998.

Naturally, as mdbnch.f claims for K6/200 512 kBytes 2nd cache/64 MByte 
SDRAM equal performance as PPro 200/256 kBytes 2nd, I'm interested in
seeing according figures (even in absence of gcc optimization for the
K6-2). Any preliminary figures?

Thanks,
Eugene Leitl

---

From: Yubo Fan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 23:10:54 +0800

Hi,

Thank you very much

Y. Fan

--
=============================================================
Yubo Fan                         Email: [email-masked]
Organic Synthesis Lab                   [email-masked]
The Department of Chemistry
Fudan University                 Phone: 8621-65648139
No. 220 Handan Road              Fax:   8621-65641740
Shanghai, 200433
P. R. China
=============================================================

---

From: Eugene Leitl <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 22:05:20 +0400 (MSD)

Pricing and Availability

Thanks,
Eugene Leitl